Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

How to repair inside of door on vintage Mustangs?

(1/4) > >>

MustangAndFairlane1867:
One of the original doors on my '65 Mustang has a dent about the size of a 50-cent piece on the inside, bottom of the door.  There's no way to get behind the dent for repairs, which seems to mean that a filler is the only option I have to fix it.  The problem with that, of course, is the repaired area will then be smooth and without that attractive "fabric?" pattern that is stamped in the metal all the way around the door.  I recall many years ago reading (Mustang Monthly, maybe) of a way to closely duplicate that pattern after a repair is made using a bondo-style filler, but I haven't been able to find the source anywhere.  I want to save this otherwise-nice original door, but I don't want to jump into the repair until I have a plan and maybe some suggestions on how best to do it.  I've painted the interior of these doors before, so I know about the necessity to sand gently and apply the paint lightly so as not to obliterate the "fabric" pattern.  Sure would like to hear from owners who have "been there, done that."  Many thanks. Ron

petersixtfive:

Ron
Can you post a pic of the dent showing where it is so everyone has a better understanding
Cheers
Peter

J_Speegle:
Once you strip the door or a donor door of all the paint from the textured area you can make a mold with silicon of the texture. Once you fix the area (since its pretty small) and apply filler you can apply the mold. remove it then join the "lines" pattern carefully with a toothpick then once dry knock down any material that was pushed up through the process. Practice a number of times first before the final. Also clean, clean and clean again the surface if you used your project door to make sure any silicon is gone our you'll curse yourself later.

Just one way some have made it work

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on August 25, 2017, 10:45:43 PM ---Once you strip the door or a donor door of all the paint from the textured area you can make a mold with silicon of the texture. Once you fix the area (since its pretty small) and apply filler you can apply the mold. remove it then join the "lines" pattern carefully with a toothpick then once dry knock down any material that was pushed up through the process. Practice a number of times first before the final. Also clean, clean and clean again the surface if you used your project door to make sure any silicon is gone our you'll curse yourself later.

Just one way some have made it work

--- End quote ---

There are so many better products to use as a molding compound, I doubt I (personally) would use ANYTHING silicone. (Silicone is the 'Enemy' of any painter).
Several years ago, I purchased a "Plastex" branded, plastic repair kit with something called a "molding bar" included to form the shapes of missing parts and/or textured surfaces. ANYTHING along those lines (IMHO) should be a MUCH BETTER choice than ANYTHING silicone. Again, my opinion. I have not tried to duplicate this texture on steel surfaces, so if other's recommendations work...I certainly do not wish to discredit their advice. ...but YES, if silicone is used...CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN afterwards!

SamG:
I think I've posted before on this...but I've used 3M rocker spray (The green label I think...it dries harder and faster) to spray a texture coat on the repaired area then knocked the top off with some fine sandpaper. 

Try it on an area first though.  It worked for me.  Far from perfect but worked well after repairing some speaker holes. 

I will need to do it again, as I have a perfect rust free right door shell with a nice dent in the interior door my granddaughter put in there for me.  Ugh. 

If I can find a can out in the shop I'll try to duplicate it and snap a few pics. 

SamG

Yes I know it's an old post but I've not been around in a while.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version