Author Topic: 1966 rear bumper "wavy" washers  (Read 1464 times)

Offline socalgt

1966 rear bumper "wavy" washers
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:42:57 PM »
Were the "wavy" washers used in the rear bumper bracket installation to avoid the bracket denting the bumper when tightened or to provide a slight cushion in case of impact.....or both?  I understand they go between the bumper itself and the bracket.

Thanks...

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1966 rear bumper "wavy" washers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 08:10:21 PM »
Do you have the 66 Mustang Body Assembly Manual? Have you looked in the library under "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets - 64-66"?
The answers, plus a lot more are included in both. The answer to your question is yes.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:28:02 PM »
They serve a purpose... which is to keep the square shoulder of the bumper bolts from bottoming out on the bracket.  The cup of the wavy washer installs such that it prevents this bottoming out.  Of course, if you over-tighten the nut, the wavy washer will flatten and then the bumper bolt will begin to push up in the hole.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:14:08 PM »
I understand they go between the bumper itself and the bracket.

Yes  :)  and can be fun to hold in place given the angles or slope sometimes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 12:26:01 AM »
The assembly line procedure is to attach both brackets to the rear bumper, with bolts, washers (they're called spacers by Ford) and nuts, then that entire assembly to the car. The clearance to adjust and tighten the nuts between the bumper and body is tight, almost impossible to tighten without scratches when the bracket hardware is tight. I believe that Ford had a fixture that held the brackets and bumper in position to allow the hardware to be installed and adjusted to match the body. It's also possible that the license plate light assembly was installed at that time too.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.