1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

1966 rear bumper alignment/installation

(1/5) > >>

socalgt:
I know there are a lot of problems getting the rear bumper to align nicely with the body.  Sometimes the problem is the reproduction bumper and/or brackets.  My bumper was not aligned well...the bumper was a repro and so were the brackets.  I found an original set of brackets, straightened them and restored them.  I used them with no additional washers, just the wavy washers installed between the bumper and brackets(one at each location) and the bumper fit perfectly.  In my case it was the repro mounting brackets that were the problem.  Thought I'd share this as I know how many cars have misaligned rear bumpers and how time consuming it can be to try to correct it.

CharlesTurner:
A long standing rule of mine is to not mix repro parts together.  I've run into the same issue way in the past when mixing repro bumper brackets with a repro bumper.  You'll have the same issue with the front bumper... stick with OEM brackets.

NEFaurora:
On my '65 I used the best repro bumper from NPD (Golden Legion)....as the bumper on my '65 was already a dented much older offshore Repro and had other issues and I was actually surprised by the quality of the New NPD Repro bumper.  It actually exceeded my expectations believe it or not..Now I know why Rick@NPD carries them.  I used it with a pair of the Original Bumper Brackets and all was well.  I used a Factory Assembly manual for a Guide to the installation and quickly realized that the 4 Metal "U" Spacers included in the AMK kit made the bumper stick out way to far...so I omitted them.  I used only the Wave Washers and made some adjustments and all the gaps matched up perfectly with my '66 Convertible which is a pretty Original untouched car and has all Original Ford Assembly line bumpers from new.  I was more than happy.

:o)

Tony K.

evantugby:

--- Quote from: socalgt on August 31, 2017, 06:34:55 PM ---I know there are a lot of problems getting the rear bumper to align nicely with the body.  Sometimes the problem is the reproduction bumper and/or brackets.  My bumper was not aligned well...the bumper was a repro and so were the brackets.  I found an original set of brackets, straightened them and restored them.  I used them with no additional washers, just the wavy washers installed between the bumper and brackets(one at each location) and the bumper fit perfectly.  In my case it was the repro mounting brackets that were the problem.  Thought I'd share this as I know how many cars have misaligned rear bumpers and how time consuming it can be to try to correct it.

--- End quote ---
Any pictures of your restoration of the rear bumper mounts? 

evantugby:

--- Quote from: evantugby on March 31, 2018, 06:56:16 PM ---Any pictures of your restoration of the rear bumper mounts?

--- End quote ---

Does anyone have a good picture of the rear bumper mounts and install?  I am trying to figure out which way the bumper brackets, along with the washers, and wave washers attach.  Is picture 1 or Picture 2 correct?  BTW, I have no idea what a wave washer is for.  haha.  And my exploded view manual doesn't show this level of detail very well. 

Help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version