Author Topic: Retainer for trunk lock on California Special?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline ruppstang

Re: Retainer for trunk lock on California Special?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 08:51:22 PM »
Are there variations of the retainer?...note the one in my photo in the above post compared to the one in Marty's photo...the hole size on mine is slightly smaller and the flange bends the other way...it came from my 68 GT350...I assume it's factory but I have no way of knowing.

Here's another one from a 67 San Jose car that just happens to be in my shop...it looks like the one in Marty's photo.

I checked our 68 GT350 thinking that maybe Metuchen had a different supplier that used  a smaller hole but it is the same as the one in the 68 SJ car above.
I did dig through my stash and find one with a small hole but I do not know where it cam from.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:53:32 PM by ruppstang »

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »
Did some carcheology on those retainers, I found two different styles. Larger hole style with smooth rounded corners, and small hole with clipped corners as shown.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »
Retainer with hole, also available from Scott Drake as a stand alone, part number C5AZ-6222023-A.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »
Which one does it look like?

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »
I think we might be cracking the code...the Drake retainer has the small hole and the longer arms...this is the picture from their catalogue...so now the question becomes "are the retainers that have small holes really reproductions and not factory"?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 09:31:05 PM »
I think we might be cracking the code...the Drake retainer has the small hole and the longer arms...this is the picture from their catalogue...so now the question becomes "are the retainers that have small holes really reproductions and not factory"?

Don't believe the original source for all the lock retainers with the small hole is from reproduction sources or even service replacement sources.  Way too many found on unrestored original cars IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 10:11:08 PM »
Don't believe the original source for all the lock retainers with the small hole is from reproduction sources or even service replacement sources.  Way too many found on unrestored original cars IMHO
++++1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby