Author Topic: Very late 67 proportioning valve  (Read 2125 times)

Offline bazza

Very late 67 proportioning valve
« on: October 01, 2017, 03:37:04 AM »
I keep reading they were similar to 68, but despite intensive research, I have yet to find a pic or description. Jeff, anyone, pretty please.
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

Offline ruppstang

Re: Very late 67 proportioning valve
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
IMHO there is no difference in the proportion valve its self only its location. Over the rear axel on the early and under the distribution block same as the 68s.
I have not see a C8 number on the ones I have restored.

Offline bazza

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 02:13:26 PM »
Thanks for the response. Would I be correct in assuming that visually, with the exception of the C7 numbers and the 1 wire warning light switch,  the block and valve assembly looks like a 68?
I can't seem to find a 68 style distribution block with C7 numbers to rebuild anywhere.
Has anyone got a spare?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »
Thanks for the response. Would I be correct in assuming that visually, with the exception of the C7 numbers and the 1 wire warning light switch,  the block and valve assembly looks like a 68?
I can't seem to find a 68 style distribution block with C7 numbers to rebuild anywhere.
Has anyone got a spare?
The distribution block between a 67 (on left in picture) and a 68 (on right) are radically different. It is the proportioning valve between a 67 and 68 that are almost identical.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:41:23 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 04:31:37 PM »
The distribution block between a 67 (on left in picture) and a 68 (on right) are radically different. It is the proportioning valve between a 67 and 68 that are almost identical.
That's not exactly true. Later (about May) 67 Mustangs used a distribution block very similar to the 68 version. The difference between them is the 67 used two 5/16-18 fender "type" bolts for mounting, the 68 used only one with an alignment pin. The early proportioning valve was definitely located at the rear axle. There was a problem in the brake warning light system, so with a running change, the valve was located at a new distribution block that routed brake fluid to properly center the brake warning light switch.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
That's not exactly true. Later (about May) 67 Mustangs used a distribution block very similar to the 68 version. The difference between them is the 67 used two 5/16-18 fender "type" bolts for mounting, the 68 used only one with an alignment pin. The early proportioning valve was definitely located at the rear axle. There was a problem in the brake warning light system, so with a running change, the valve was located at a new distribution block that routed brake fluid to properly center the brake warning light switch.
Jim
Jim ,you may be correct about a difference on very late 67 Mustang production but I would double check your research as it applies to what you call earlier. At least not prior to July 67 on the SJ built 67 Shelby's. That is fairly late production from my point of view.  I would assume the rest of Mustang production followed the trend at that plant as well. 67 Shelby's did not use the later style distribution block and forward mounted proportioning valve.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 05:47:30 PM »
Jim ,you may be correct about a difference on very late 67 Mustang production but I would double check your research as it applies to what you call earlier. At least not prior to July 67 on the SJ built 67 Shelby's. That is fairly late production from my point of view.  I would assume the rest of Mustang production followed the trend at that plant as well. 67 Shelby's did not use the later style distribution block and forward mounted proportioning valve.

That's the problem/issue with using early and late to describe not a mid year change but instead the earlier and later versions of a part.  Maybe we should give some thought of coming up with a new term to describe these multiple versions used in a production year> Maybe (just to get us thinking)  First and second version. For 67 it can be a real challenge as we could end of with three or four versions of some items through whole production year

Unfortunately the OP didn't specify the specific plant. And we've not compared use of these two items between the three plants though use may be similar

With that stated and getting off thread a little below is the latest/highest sequential 67 San Jose example I found - 7R02S238xxx  with a projected build date of 28U. Real date could be the last week of production or a month prior not leaving allot of time for a possible change to the newer style and all the supporting other parts needed

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 06:27:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bazza

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 07:59:19 PM »
Jeff, the build date and plant are in my signature line. Definitely late.
My impression is that unless there was completely different block, the only way to move the prop valve to the front, would still require it to be plumbed into the rear line.
There are plenty of comments about the change of location of the valve, just no pictures or numbers of the parts required to enable the change of location.

Jim, the arrangement you describe seems to be what would be needed.
I keep getting treated like I'm sorta .. "special", when I ask for a 68 style with C7 numbers.

Thanks for everyones input.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 08:16:33 PM »
Jeff, the build date and plant are in my signature line. Definitely late.

Sorry over looked it :(

There are plenty of comments about the change of location of the valve, just no pictures or numbers of the parts required to enable the change of location.

Where are you finding these "plenty of comments about the change"? Guess your referring to late 67 or just the change from one location to the other?

Well you have the different junction block, different rear feed line, clamp for the valve and any different lines (should be able to confirm with the MPC and assembly manual) for the different junction block.  Surely missing something but those are the ones that come to mind

As a side note its unfortunate that this detail is not documented on the buildsheet as it could help confirm what the last 67s at San Jose originally had.
Jeff Speegle

Offline bazza

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »
I did find these pics in an earlier thread, don't know its application.
Jim, does it look familiar?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 08:40:13 PM »
At least not prior to July 67 on the SJ built 67 Shelby's.
This is about a regular production Mustang, not a Shelby.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bazza

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 10:02:40 PM »
Sorry over looked it :(

Where are you finding these "plenty of comments about the change"? Guess your referring to late 67 or just the change from one location to the other?

Well you have the different junction block, different rear feed line, clamp for the valve and any different lines (should be able to confirm with the MPC and assembly manual) for the different junction block.  Surely missing something but those are the ones that come to mind
It was about the change of location.
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11541.msg69452#msg69452

It is also the "different junction block" assembly that I'm looking for information on.
Seems the valve itself is the same between early and late.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 10:11:18 PM »
This is about a regular production Mustang, not a Shelby.
Jim
A Shelby started out as a unfinished regular production Mustang  ;). Apparently you are unaware otherwise you would not have made a uniformed statement like that . My interests are for the Shelby cars however since they started out as regular Mustangs my knowledge extends to the aspects of regular Mustangs that are the same as on the completed Shelby cars. Disc brake systems are with few exceptions depending on year the same on Shelby's as on a regular production Mustang with disc brakes. In this 67 distribution block issue there is no reason to think that a regular Mustang with disc brakes would be any different then a Shelby with disc brakes. Since I am known for studying Shelby's and not regular Mustangs I wanted to explain how I came to my conclusion on a regular production Mustang.

Offline bazza

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 10:47:56 PM »
I've just found this pic in this post. This is the distribution block I'm looking for information on.
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15440.0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »
It was about the change of location.

It is also the "different junction block" assembly that I'm looking for information on.
Seems the valve itself is the same between early and late.

I've just found this pic in this post. This is the distribution block I'm looking for information on.

Doesn't look like that would apply to a very late Dearborn 67. Think there is some confusion here. Could not find any 67's within months of your stated build date with one of these
Jeff Speegle