1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

1966 Steering wheel issue

(1/3) > >>

Hipo giddyup:
 Guess this is the best place to post this.. I just bought a repro steering wheel, (the original wheel has more cracks than a whip). I will start by saying that I have NO issues with the old wheel,turn signals work, horn works, etc.. it is just beyond repair. Anyway, I installed the new wheel (which actually looks very well done)and backed down the drive way to be 100% sure it is on straight. When I went to tighten the nut, the courtesy lights started cutting out and I heard a buzz from what I think was the turn signal flasher. I pulled it back off and checked everything, which looked fine. I tightened it up again and the same thing started happening. I removed it so as not to burn up any wiring. I'm guessing that the horn contacts are grounding/shorting out through the steering shaft??? Therefore, it is likely I have a bad wheel??? I will be calling the manufacture of the wheel today to see what they say but wanted to pose the situation here in case someone else has seen this, experienced it, and could respond back. Maybe there is an electrical test I can perform on the steering wheel to see if it is the culprit?  Thanks for a reply.

CharlesTurner:
Sounds like the rings are coming into contact.  You might try removing them, on a standard wheel I can't remember if only one or both come off.  The one with the long tab might need to be bent.

Typical repro stuff.

midlife:
I've found that a bit over-tightening of the steering wheel nut can short out the turn signal switch, which has rivet heads on the back side, against the steering column itself.  I now always put a piece of electrical tape over those rivet heads.  Something to consider.

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: midlife on October 10, 2017, 01:46:36 PM ---I've found that a bit over-tightening of the steering wheel nut can short out the turn signal switch, which has rivet heads on the back side, against the steering column itself.  I now always put a piece of electrical tape over those rivet heads.  Something to consider.

--- End quote ---

great point and even better solution!

Bill, Another "possibility" is you need to move your column away from the new wheel a 16th of an inch perhaps.

Hipo giddyup:

All good comments.

I will try and use some tape under the harness as Midlife noted. That's a great idea.

Richard, actually I had a decent gap  ( 1/4") between the wheel and the column that would require me to move the column up as it is so that will likely make this "short" worse. Good idea though.  More to come when I have a chance to work on this again..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version