Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

289 / 302 block casting

(1/3) > >>

cobraboy:
Hi Guys
Some questions regarding 289 and 302 blocks.

Am I right in assuming that all 289 blocks had a well or depression on the top surface behind the intake ?

I know that during the changeover from 289 to 302 some 302 blocks were built up as 289's but did these blocks have a flat area behind the intake ?

In other words is it safe to say that all blocks with a well are 289 and all blocks with a flat area are 302 blocks ( even if some were actually built as 289 engines )

Did any 289 engine across any application have an engine number in the area above ?

Thank you.

Mark

krelboyne:
I thought that the blocks with the flat area behind the intakes were 1968 blocks, and have C8... casting numbers. Flat area for accepting the VIN stamp.

cobraboy:
Thanks
So C8 would make all the flat area blocks 302 then ?

cobraboy:
Can anyone nail this down ?

ruppstang:
I had all ways thought the ones that had the flat area for the VIN were 302's but I think there was a thread here that some posted a picture of a block with the flat boss that was a 289. Since the then I found one too. I think the vast majority of them are 302's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version