Author Topic: Adding A/C to D code with power steering?  (Read 668 times)

Offline Early65

Adding A/C to D code with power steering?
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »
I have a D Code Automatic and want to add A/C before she goes back together. I have a complete restored A/C system from a 65, but I am wondering what I need to make the change over. I have read that I need a different pulley on the generator (pretty obvious since the PS is occupying the current spot) and a remote PS reservoir.
Any idea where I can get these things or what I can temporarily do to get it running while I wait for one to pop up somewhere?
Is there anything else that I need?

Thanks guys!
-Jeff

Offline terrylyoung

Re: Adding A/C to D code with power steering?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »
I have a D code with factory power steering and a/c. You are correct on the remote reservoir and there is also a metal line that needs to be added to the top of the pump to attach the power steering lines to the reservoir. I found (mine was missing) a 4 groove crank pulley on ebay for $75. I don't think there is a special pulley for the generator. Mine has a 2 groove pulley but both belts go from there around the water pump pulley then around the crank pulley. There is a special bracket that is needed for the bottom generator bracket. You may already have this since it contains the adjustment pulley for the a/c.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Adding A/C to D code with power steering?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 06:19:41 PM »
Check the Bob Mannel book, it has details about the bracket/pulley config for a 64.5 with A/C and p/s.  www.fordsmallblock.com

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin