1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Is this how to decode sheet metal?

(1/3) > >>

MustangAndFairlane1867:
After researching the "trick" to decoding the alpha/numeric symbols stamped in the sheet metal of my 1965 Mustang, I prepared this memo to myself.  I would appreciate  comments, corrections and additions from all the knowledgeable and experienced folks on this great forum:

Note:  The codes do not denote the year, so it’s generally assumed that the year is the same as the year of the car the sheet metal is on.

Here’s how to decode a typical date stamp on a 1965 Mustang’s sheet metal:

4   15    B2

The 4 is the month (April is this sample)

The 15 is the day of the month (15th in this sample)

The B is the plant where the piece was made (Buffalo, N.Y. in this sample)

The 2 is the shift that produced it (In this case it was the second shift)

Here are the codes for the various plants where sheet metal was produced:

A=Chicago, Ill.
B=Buffalo, N.Y.
C=Cleveland, Ohio
D=Dearborn, Michigan
M=Monroe, Michigan
W=Woodhaven, Michigan

carlite65:
i think you have it down perfect. sometimes though there is no shift code. not sure why.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: carlite65 on November 19, 2017, 11:12:13 AM ---i think you have it down perfect. sometimes though there is no shift code. not sure why.

--- End quote ---
A single shift per day would not have a shift code.
Jim

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: MustangAndFairlane1867 on November 19, 2017, 11:05:11 AM ---After researching the "trick" to decoding the alpha/numeric symbols stamped in the sheet metal of my 1965 Mustang, I prepared this memo to myself.  I would appreciate  comments, corrections and additions from all the knowledgeable and experienced folks on this great forum:

Note:  The codes do not denote the year, so it’s generally assumed that the year is the same as the year of the car the sheet metal is on.

Here’s how to decode a typical date stamp on a 1965 Mustang’s sheet metal:

4   15    B2

The 4 is the month (April is this sample)

The 15 is the day of the month (15th in this sample)

The B is the plant where the piece was made (Buffalo, N.Y. in this sample)

The 2 is the shift that produced it (In this case it was the second shift)

Here are the codes for the various plants where sheet metal was produced:

A=Chicago, Ill.
B=Buffalo, N.Y.
C=Cleveland, Ohio
D=Dearborn, Michigan
M=Monroe, Michigan
W=Woodhaven, Michigan

--- End quote ---
You might try the Library under specific years for a topic "Date Codes - Decoding Date Codes" by someone on the forum.
Jim

J_Speegle:
As Jim mentioned I think you'll find the Article posted in the Library helpful - that's why it was written an posted.   ::)

46 pages, with sixty two part types decoded, with lots of pictures and illustrations to help Takes a whil;e to load given the size but worth the wait

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version