Author Topic: Early 67 Shelby Front Wheel Well Sound Deadener Application Pattern  (Read 1171 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
This question came up for an October built Shelby on another forum and I felt the response and pictures should be posted here also to help others

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok with the addition of the pictures in the other thread showing the bottom of the fenders and the wide variation of what was applied to those I offer the following.  Haven't finished the 67 San Jose undercarriage article (like the others already available) as of yet so I hope these help others in the mean time.

A few notes to start with. The sound deadener in the front wheel wells was applied after the car was basically completed, minus the wheels and tires from what we can tell. This is unlike the rear wheel wells which was added before exterior paint so the majority of that application is covered by a nice coat of body color.

The sound deadener was applied with a fairly short sprayer from below the body while the worker stood in the pit.  Consider this as you reapply the products giving consideration of where shadows would be created during the passing of the applicator and what bends and features on some panels would be closer or further from it

In no particular order here are some pictures from around the time period (Oct 1966) you asked about. Again some of the features in these pictures apply to this period at San Jose and not others.  The amount of product could be more or less but the general guide was some. What I've choosen to show is the more typical or normal we find on allot of these cars.

Hope this helps you and others. I've taken the time to highlight the pictures so  that the green layer shows the sound deadener application and the purple layer (both under and without sound deadener over it) the spray sealer added much earlier in the assembly process

Drivers side front  inner panel. Spray often extended to over the bumper bracket and arms

Passenger side front  inner panel. Spray often extended to over the bumper bracket and arms

Passenger side rear firewall section and splash shield. Spray was suppose to extend to over the rear splash shield and rubber edge

Passenger side rear inner panel. Spray was suppose to extend to over the rear splash shield and rubber edge

If you have any questions please feel free to ask

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)