1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Correct Engine oil

(1/4) > >>

6T5 Fastback:
I just picked up a 65 Fastback and the previous owner said he rebuilt the engine a few years ago to the 289 HiPo specs. He sent me a picture of the oil he had been running and its Joe Gibbs HR-1 15W-50. Some people have said that its not necessary unless you plan on racing, and have suggested 10w -30 0r 10w-40 is totally fine. Stay away from synthetic ? I basically only have her out on sunny days and garage kept.  Any help would be great Thanks

carlite65:
i would choose a quality 10W-40 oil. have you checked the actual oil psi with a mechanical gauge??

jwc66k:
I use 20W-50 in my older cars, and have since I bought my first Ford in 1963 (a 1960 Starliner, 292 2v). I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles. Any lower weight oil may cause problems, engines then were not built to todays tighter tolerances. Using a synthetic oil is a waste of money.
Jim

6T5 Fastback:
I have yet to check the actual oil psi but will do . thanks for the suggestion

Brian Conway:
The Gibbs oil is an excellent product and running the 15-50 should tell you the builder/owner expected some degree of performance.  Your demands on the engine and local weather conditions should help you decide what would be the best choice ?  Probably stay with the Gibbs ?  I get a little ' spirited ' occasionally, live in San Diego, and I run straight 30 wt. VR1 in my stock 65.  The filter, Motorcraft FL-1HP, and oil are changed, at least, every 3000 miles or two years.  Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version