Author Topic: Early Gas/Accelerator Pedal  (Read 1452 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Early Gas/Accelerator Pedal
« on: December 18, 2017, 03:37:30 PM »
When I purchased my '65 Dearborn Coupe some years ago, it was largely in pieces. Recently I found two different Gas Pedals that came with the car. Of the two, on one the Rubber portion is removable and has the Factory Number C4ZA-9767-D. I found photos on-line to suggest that this was used on the '64-1/2 Models and possibly early '65's; though the latter I did not find any photos to substantiate this. I did Search for Postings on this site and Googled this Part Number with no success, nor did I find anything in my Ford Master Parts List.

The other Pedal appears to have the Rubber Molded around the Metal and has several factory Numbers on its perimeter; C5ZA-9767-B being the closest to the C4ZA Number. It's design is very different, as per the photos, suggesting that it may have been able to support Decorative Trim, though I found no evidence that this ever had any Trim.

My question is which one is correct for my car...estimated Build Date 23A, Dearborn Coupe, 6-Cylinder, Standard Interior

Thanks...Ray
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:49:16 PM by carlite65 »
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline jwc66k

Re: Early Gas/Accellerator Pedal
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 04:46:53 PM »
My question is which one is correct for my car...estimated Build Date 23A, Dearborn Coupe, 6-Cylinder, Standard Interior
 - the Factory Number C4ZA-9767-D
The other one, C5ZA-9767-B, was created for deluxe interiors and installed on all 65-66 cars but used without the trim ring for standard interiors.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 09:45:05 PM »
"The other one, C5ZA-9767-B, was created for deluxe interiors and installed on all 65-66 cars but used without the trim ring for standard interiors.
Jim"

+1

Yes, The Earlier one with the Solid or "Full" outer edges and no provision (no ledge) for a trim ring was for real Early cars.  Early cars that got these also had matching pedal pads (with no ledge or provision for a trim ring either).  It's a subject that's seldom discussed.  The earlier type gas pedal with no trim ring provision is rather hard to find.  I would think that its repro'd somewhere...as are the matching Earlier solid or "full"edged clutch and brake pedal pads which I think you can get from NPD.

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 10:24:52 PM »
"The other one, C5ZA-9767-B, was created for deluxe interiors and installed on all 65-66 cars but used without the trim ring for standard interiors.
Jim"

+1

Yes, The Earlier one with the Solid or "Full" outer edges and no provision (no ledge) for a trim ring was for real Early cars.  Early cars that got these also had matching pedal pads (with no ledge or provision for a trim ring either).  It's a subject that's seldom discussed.  The earlier type gas pedal with no trim ring provision is rather hard to find.  I would think that its repro'd somewhere...as are the matching Earlier solid or "full"edged clutch and brake pedal pads which I think you can get from NPD.

:o)

Tony K.
I have seen quite a few later SJ built standard interior cars (65 GT 350) with the solid outer edge gas pedal and corresponding other clutch and brake pedal pads.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ChrisV289

Re: Early Gas/Accelerator Pedal
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 10:56:10 PM »
The earlier brake pedal with no trim is reproduced but not the accelerator pedal for some reason.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 11:56:38 PM »
The earlier brake pedal with no trim is reproduced but not the accelerator pedal for some reason.
I always try to keep a few around on the shelf for just such instances and pick nice ones up every chance I get.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »
The switch over was around Spring '65, about when deluxe interior first started to be offered.  On a later '65 with standard interior, they would have the indent pedal, but no stainless.  I've seen cars with a mix of both.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Tiny

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
Question? Did the 66 GT Coupe auto with standard interior have the chrome trim around the gas pedal and brake pedal?  I believe the brake pedal did as a GT feature but I'm not sure about the gas pedal/

cheers
67 San Jose Built GTA 390 Coupe
C6, PS, A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »
Question? Did the 66 GT Coupe auto with standard interior have the chrome trim around the gas pedal and brake pedal?  I believe the brake pedal did as a GT feature but I'm not sure about the gas pedal/

The trim was not a part of the GT package but instead the interior package so none of the two or three pedals would have originally had the trim.

Plenty of owners have added the trim over the years especially those owners who were hobbyist compared to those that used the cars as transportation only
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Tiny

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 06:27:29 PM »
great thanks for the info.  I'm trying to make my GT as correct as possible.
67 San Jose Built GTA 390 Coupe
C6, PS, A/C

Offline TMS

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 11:33:49 AM »
My Jun 23 1964 build Detroit 289 "D" code has the two early pedals (gas and brake) with no trim...

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 05:57:24 PM »
My Jun 23 1964 build Detroit 289 "D" code has the two early pedals (gas and brake) with no trim...

They were used way into '65 production, as late as March-April '65.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin