1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Transmission questions

(1/7) > >>

ChrisV289:
Tying to determine if the bell housing and torque converter are original to my car. The transmission has the right numbers and tag. Also I found a wiring clip on the side that didn't have anything in it. It was on the driver side. Any idea what it was for? Also there was another clip on the passenger side. First time looking at this transmission this close ever on the car.

rrenz:
I had intended on replacing my vacuum line so I had done a little research at one time. My Vacuum line is pretty bent up and isnt running the original course but from what I remember however I believe the passenger side is for the Vacuum line before it transitions to rubber. The driver side I've seen a clip for the Neutral safety switch however in a different position if I'm looking at that picture correctly.

J_Speegle:
The clip in picture #5 is for the hard vacuum line that attaches to the transmission at the modulator

The clip in picture #3 looks to be for electrical so the loom going to the neutral safety and back up switch I would assume. Will look at some examples to see if I have a related picture.  No external ID tag on the trans?

J_Speegle:
Looking through my pictures and comparing I think your trans may have been rebuilt or at least partically disassembled at some point in the past. ID tag is missing and the wire retainer on the drivers side may have been reinstalled at a different point. Only other example I found had that bracket (looking at it from the drivers side ) at the top upper left rather than the upper right and holding the wire loom for the trans switch.

As for the other bracket here are some pictures to illustrate

Example from same plant and production period as your car. You can make out the line and clip at the top center of the picture below

ChrisV289:
Hi Jeff,

I have the tag. I took it off so the rebuild shop does not lose it and to clean it up.  What direction should the wiring loom clip be?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version