Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

Looking For Direction on Quarter Replacement

(1/2) > >>

carguytroy:
This is probably more of a general body panel replacement question. I have a 1967 convertible that I acquired and the quarter panels have been partially/mostly cut off the car. They left the upper portion of the quarters on the car. Is it better to replace the entire quarter panel or to cut along the top and weld along there? I have replaced full quarters on a 1966 that I have which I didn't find all that terrible to do. Here's a couple of pics of what I am looking at. Car was media blasted and left in a garage for 8 years. Has light surface rust all over the panels which I will be removing.

Bossbill:
As an aside, in the last two posts you have resized your original pictures so small that any and all detail is lost.

carguytroy:

--- Quote from: Bossbill on January 14, 2018, 07:38:02 PM ---As an aside, in the last two posts you have resized your original pictures so small that any and all detail is lost.

--- End quote ---

Is that Better? I had them way too big before hope its easier to see now

jwc66k:
As Mustangs were of a unibody design, I would think a whole section would be advisable, it's strength you want. If you have a 67 Mustang Weld/Sealant Manual, it will show you what Ford did, and what the sections were comprised of.
Jim

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: carguytroy on January 14, 2018, 07:18:01 PM ---This is probably more of a general body panel replacement question. I have a 1967 convertible that I acquired and the quarter panels have been partially/mostly cut off the car. They left the upper portion of the quarters on the car. Is it better to replace the entire quarter panel or to cut along the top and weld along there?

--- End quote ---

Every body guy has their own personal preference based on their experience, skill level and the job. Some may choose to stay away from the original spot welds and those areas because they can be difficult to reproduce without tale tale signs while others do it as the factory did or don't care about the details.

Going to need to clean all those panels again before you start adding new panels but I guess you know that already

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version