Author Topic: trunk mat  (Read 3154 times)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
trunk mat
« on: August 29, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »
At SAAC #34 I took this pic of a trunk mat that was in a '67 shelby, [noticed the stiching in the corners]. Question #1, Were all non rubber mats done this way originally regardless of plant or time frame? Question #2, What dictated what type of mat you got [rubber, plaid or speckled]?  This is in regards to 67-68 mustangs and shelbys, thanks.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:53:08 PM by thefordshow »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: trunk mat
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:27:47 PM »
At SAAC #34 I took this pic of a trunk mat that was in a '67 shelby, [noticed the stiching in the corners]. Question #1, Were all non rubber mats done this way originally regardless of plant or time frame? Querstion #2, What dictated what type of mat you got [rubber, plaid or speckled]?  This is in regards to 67-68 mustangs and shelbys, thanks.
That is typical of a trunk mat in a San Jose 67 Shelby. Notice the odd or primitive stitching pattern. That is also typical on these mats for some reason. This is the only style  that came in a 67 Shelby. The 67 Shelby /Mustang mat was the only one that came with stitching.They were not made of rubber but a rough burtex (think burlap) type material with the plaid pattern. The 68 Shelby's which were made at the Metuchen plant normally received a mat that was speckle painted and the material it was made of closely resembles carpet underlayment pad material that is made of a multitude of different colored fibers.   I have also seen a  number of late 68 Shelby's with mats made of this same material but instead of speckle it was a solid light to medium gray. Those are the only two types I am aware of for 68 . I have talked to some people that swear that their early 68 Shelby came mats with a plaid pattern mat but I can not confirm this. I believe that any 67 or 68 Shelby that has a rubber mat in it's trunk must have been replaced sometime in it's past . The 65/66 rubber mat was used frequently as a generic replacement mat by dealers. Just some of my observations. Bob
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:56:21 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:27:38 PM »
Thanks Bob, that clears things up. So no rubber mats in 67-8 unless possible replacments.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:30:36 PM »
Thanks Bob, that clears things up. So no rubber mats in 67-8 unless possible replacments.
That is correct. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby