Author Topic: Plastic washer for pre-assembly line up  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Plastic washer for pre-assembly line up
« on: February 02, 2018, 09:43:29 PM »
Many years ago I dug into a freshly primered fender with the fender/toothed washer bolts during some line up tests and decided there had to be a better way.

For my 65 mustang I dug out a coffee can plastic lid and rough cut some semi-squares and poked a hole in the middle.
First pic applies.

For the 67 I got a bit fancier and ventured into my wife's upholstery studio and borrowed her button press -- aka a circle cutter.
Once back in the shop I sourced a piece of wood and a small hole punch.
Second pic applies.

After a session with the Phosphate and Oil, I applied the protectors to be trunk lid bolts and now I'm ready to do initial lineup and final lineup.
Third pic applies.

Once you have the car painted, line up the trunk lid and tighten the four trunk bolts (each side). When you are happy, remove one of the bolts, remove the plastic washer and do a final tighten.

You can do this with the front fender, hinges and any other place where you don't want washer marks.

Ok, you can buy nylon washers. But why?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Plastic washer for pre-assembly line up
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:04:29 PM »
Kudo's for your ingenuity.   ;D
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 11:16:11 PM »
When I sold my CJ Special order paint Mach I a few years ago I choose to sell it as an unfinished car but wanted to assembly it so that the next person could see what was there and not have to go through tons of boxes and crates. Since the the body work had been done and it was all in primer (suspension detailed out also) I wanted to protect the finishes so I found a company that would provide me with a fair number (enough to do the car) of thick plastic washers. Used them everywhere. Pretty cheap insurance and I've used them for other projects like you for presetting and aligning body panels. They were pretty inexpensive also.

At the same time there is always the milk jug, lid, plastic container method as you have found. Thanks for sharing this option with everyone here
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 11:24:36 PM »
This forum has taught me so many things about factory finishes and such I always try and share things I've learned.
It's an idea pay back ... and I also try and give a donation now and then in order to keep this site going!

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 11:28:33 PM »
This forum has taught me so many things about factory finishes and such I always try and share things I've learned.
It's an idea pay back ... and I also try and give a donation now and then in order to keep this site going!

Thank you

We all have so much to learn and share
Jeff Speegle

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:08:10 PM »
Yeah, I saw this trick in Mustang Monthly and Mustangs Illustrated back in the 1980's.  I still have the issues somewhere... In the articles, They recommended using a plastic 1 Gallon Milk Jug to cut up.. but I'm sure that a Plastic coffee can cover works even better..

:o)

Tony K.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:39:00 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:28 PM »
Yeah, I saw this trick in Mustang Monthly and Mustangs Illustrated back in the 1980's.  I still have the issues somewhere... In the articles, They recommended using a plastic 1 Gallon Milk Jug to cut up..

Believe that was in one of the Bob P columns. Found it easier to just buy them..... Never have many empty plastic jugs sitting around.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Chris Thauberger

• Quality is doing it right when no one is watching
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 10:51:11 PM »
I love this kind of solution. This is what makes this hobby so much fun, figuring out solutions for small issues.

Here is the "Canadian" version. Everybody know Canadians are to lazy to remove the bolt to get the plastic washer off.  :o

Chris

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 11:09:12 PM »
Great idea to improve a red-neck, back-yard low-tech solution!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 12:48:45 AM »
That technique was used back in the mid-90s on the Mustang Convertible in the picture. The restoration was assisted by two MCA Gold Card Judges, Rich C and Bruce C. Among other things is, literally everything that was replaced, was NOS. The car was about as close to being a benchmark as possible. The Mustang is a 66 GT HP Convertible, with a C4, power top. It was used in a seminar I attended, hosted by Jeff, in the shop run by Bruce C. I'm sure he remembers. It was a pleasure looking and touching the undercarriage of that car. The owner, Gaines Adcock, never drove the car in the rain. It was too much trouble to clean the undercarriage. Once the top was installed, he kept it up so it wouldn't get wrinkled. The top came down for the photo shoot that used in the 1998 Mustang sales brochure. Gaines got paid extra for that. The only non-standard option was the power steering added by Gaines. He sold the car about five years, we estimate six figures.
Why is all this important? Gaines died last week. I'll miss a good friend.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »
Why is all this important? Gaines died last week. I'll miss a good friend.
Jim

Wow sorry to hear about this Jim.  My family thoughts and prayers go out to his family.  Bruce and Richard were by the other day on their way home from Turlock swapmeet
Jeff Speegle