Author Topic: New VIN Tag on dash  (Read 1333 times)

Offline jgkurz

New VIN Tag on dash
« on: February 05, 2018, 03:56:49 PM »
Hi Folks,

I pulled my windshield on my 1969 Mach1 (Built in Dearborn Feb 5,69) as part of a re-paint. My VIN tag on the dash looks a bit worn out. I know I can replace my door VIN tag through Marti Auto Works. I didn't see where they offered the dash VIN tag. Maybe I missed it.

Does anyone make new dash VIN tags?

Thank you

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: New VIN Tag on dash
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
Replacing or remounting that tag can be a federal issue and I would be very careful going down that path. I would not and have, in the past chosen not to and scrap cars where they were missing. Someone may make them but its a bit hush hush and you could anticipate allot of questions, verification and hoops to jump through if they do supply you if the company above board. There are past threads here and on other sites about experiences and warnings about touching VINs

You might want to consider just using an overlay decal to freshen it up. I found that cutting the center out, so that the clear layer does not extend over the stamped numbers and letters creating pockets and air gap. Though not perfect IMHO does improve the look

Decals were available through most of the suppliers like NPD and Virginia Mustang
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 04:48:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jgkurz

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 05:15:40 PM »
Thank you Jeff. I will go the decal route. I certainly do not want an trouble with the feds.  :o   I will order a decal from Tony Branda.

Would this example picture I found on Google be a good representation of the original look? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »
Would this example picture I found on Google be a good representation of the original look? 

Yes here are a couple closer to your car for comparison

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jgkurz

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
Just what I needed. Thank you!