Author Topic: 66 Sway Bar End Links: Are these original?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline evantugby

66 Sway Bar End Links: Are these original?
« on: February 16, 2018, 08:06:56 PM »
Gents,
I wanted to run these parts buy you to see if they are original or not before I switch out the rubbers.  D8BC-5493-AA

I know it's not likely but worth the question. 

Thanks.

1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 66 Sway Bar End Links: Are these original?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 08:19:48 PM »
not with a 'D8' part number. that would be for a 1978.
5F09C331248

Offline evantugby

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:34:46 PM »
not with a 'D8' part number. that would be for a 1978.

Actually I hate that I had to ask that.  I should have known D8 was for 1978.  Good catch! 

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:42:03 PM »
Gents,
I wanted to run these parts buy you to see if they are original or not before I switch out the rubbers.  D8BC-5493-AA

I know it's not likely but worth the question. 

Thanks.
You are correct not original. Lucky for you AMK sells a very nice replacement.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:51:14 AM »
Thanks Bob,
I usually go to Fred Ballard for all my OEM parts I need.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 02:15:12 PM »
Thanks Bob,
I usually go to Fred Ballard for all my OEM parts I need.
Fred will have the correct assemblyline style parts. In this case much more (for those reading) expensive given the assemblyline markings. I didn't think you were going the thoroughbred direction given the personalized modifications like Shelby stripes.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 03:11:48 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for the comment. 

I've made mention here on another post that I want my kar to be as original as possible to the K-code it was when it rolled off the assembly line 23 Oct 1965 EXCEPT for the following Shelby GT-350 items (Shelby paint, hood pins, fiber glass hood, side windows, side air ports, GT-6 rims, Holley Carb, Shelby intake manifold, door sill plates and Cobra tachometer). 

This is my compromise since I can't afford a real Shelby GT-350 just yet.  ;)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 03:44:50 PM »
do you plan to present this car for mca judging?? if so those markings will not be beneficial as you most likely would be placed in a modified class.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for the comment. 

I've made mention here on another post that I want my kar to be as original as possible to the K-code it was when it rolled off the assembly line 23 Oct 1965 EXCEPT for the following Shelby GT-350 items (Shelby paint, hood pins, fiber glass hood, side windows, side air ports, GT-6 rims, Holley Carb, Shelby intake manifold, door sill plates and Cobra tachometer). 

This is my compromise since I can't afford a real Shelby GT-350 just yet.  ;)
So are you going with original exhaust over reproduction ? Fred has that too I bet. How about the battery cables ,plug wires, belts ,hoses? All original or reproduction ? What about the Holley original assemblyline or re issue? Just for a example the concours repro end link kits AMK sells are exact except they don't have the makers mark on the bolt heads and the makers marking on the spacer tube that you can see if you look close . The AMK kit is 25.00 and the NOS assemblyline kits sell for 200.00+ many times. This kind of spread is typical for many assemblyline parts compared to the good repro parts. Sometime less sometimes more . Since you are un familiar with the parts given your questions I thought I would bring this up in light of your "as original as possible to the K-code it was when it rolled off the assembly line 23 Oct 1965" statement just in case you are in aware. Trying to help you understand so that you can choose the best path. 

Offline evantugby

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 10:14:48 PM »
do you plan to present this car for mca judging?? if so those markings will not be beneficial as you most likely would be placed in a modified class.

No plans to do any competitive kar shows. I'm doing this for my own enjoyment. Unfortunately I was born in 1979, about 14-15 yrs outside the window of when these Kars were new. My restoration will be the closest thing I'll get to owning a brand new mustang. ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:16:58 PM by evantugby »

Offline evantugby

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »
So are you going with original exhaust over reproduction ? Fred has that too I bet. How about the battery cables ,plug wires, belts ,hoses? All original or reproduction ? What about the Holley original assemblyline or re issue? Just for a example the concours repro end link kits AMK sells are exact except they don't have the makers mark on the bolt heads and the makers marking on the spacer tube that you can see if you look close . The AMK kit is 25.00 and the NOS assemblyline kits sell for 200.00+ many times. This kind of spread is typical for many assemblyline parts compared to the good repro parts. Sometime less sometimes more . Since you are un familiar with the parts given your questions I thought I would bring this up in light of your "as original as possible to the K-code it was when it rolled off the assembly line 23 Oct 1965" statement just in case you are in aware. Trying to help you understand so that you can choose the best path.

I haven't decided on which exhaust yet but it will certainly be with an h-pipe, so something very similar to stock on my kar. I will turn the tips down and cut off just flush with the bottom of the rear valance. Yes, Fred does have what I need too.

I do have a set of AMK end links. I ordered them from NPD.  I'll probably just use these instead.

My kar has a Holley but not the original one that came on shelby gt350s unfortunately. 

Yes I will probably be buying new belts, hoses, battery cables. I already bought new wiring harness and engine bay harnesses. 

I do love how active you, Jeff, Bob, Carlite, and Caspian are on this website. I'm learning a massive amount about my kar!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:53:40 AM by evantugby »

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 09:35:54 AM »
thanks....that's what we're here for.
5F09C331248