Author Topic: 67 A/C bracket finish?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Heap64

67 A/C bracket finish?
« on: September 10, 2010, 12:32:29 AM »
Jan 31 '67 Dearborn if it makes a difference..

I'm looking for what you all feel is the correct finish for the cast brackets for the A/C and various pulley's.  It looks like semi-gloss black in the MCA guidelines, but in my Bob Mannel book it looks like he is listing a switch from black to natural sometime in 66?

It seems most of the cars I see it's all painted black, except for the bearing caps sometimes getting left natural which I think is correct.

I will most likely go black on my brackets as well for looks, but I was wondering what you guys felt was correct?

I also see he lists natural for the lower alt bracket, and that seems like that is always painted as well

Thanks in advance!

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: 67 A/C bracket finish?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:15:41 AM »
Since you mention Bob's book, I will assume your Mustang has a 289 small block engine. Your 67 was built early enough that it would not have the adjustable idler pulley on the vertical compressor stabilizer bracket. The following are the finishes that I would expect to see on your 67 A/C:

horizontal base to head bracket - semi-gloss black with machined surfaces
veritcal stablizer bracket (no idler pulley) - semi-gloss black with machined surfaces
adjustible idler pulley - phosphate/oil base with a semi-gloss black stamped steel pulley
fixed idler pulley (if you do not have p/s) - phosphate/oil base with a semi-gloss black stamped steel pulley
strut brace - semi-gloss black
a/c compressor - semi-gloss black
a/c clutch - semi-gloss black

Regards,
Pete Morgan