Author Topic: What to look out for: '84-6 cylinder, automatic  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Wayne in NJ

What to look out for: '84-6 cylinder, automatic
« on: October 13, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »

What to look out for: '84-6 cylinder, automatic

Hi!
    Considering purchasing an '84, 6 cylinder, automatic, which the owner admits needs tranny work. Heard the parts for either trans available that year in the 6, are readily available.
    He also says the convertible top needs replacing.
    Anything, specific, for which to be on the lookout? Among other things, any 'rust areas' for which this particular fox body is famous?

Thanks!
    Wayne in NJ

Offline bluemax

Re: What to look out for: '84-6 cylinder, automatic
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »
Wayne, can't speak to the 6 cyl transmission parts availability as I have an SVO.

As for potential "rust" areas, the following is pretty typical for all Fox Bodies, especially in the rust belt states;

1. floor pans - particularly with a convertible
2. lower door seams - convertible doors are modified versions of the coupe and hatch and getting harder to find
3. cowl
4. front frame rails

Parts are not as readliy available as the early model cars, i.e. can't build a car out of a catalog. That is slowly changing though. Depending on color option, interior parts can be hard to find; door panels, rear trim panels, etc.

Good luck with the purchase.  :)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »
Convertibles can be WATER traps especially if the top had leaks or had a window cracked to let water/snow get in.  Look in the trunk, under the rear seat and is the forward rear quarters. 

The rest of the FOX BODY areas for rust - see to be due to the lack of paint on some of the parts.  (and contact with salt if on the east coast)

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline Wayne in NJ

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:38:16 AM »
Thanks for the tips!  Realized i posted in the wrong spot...sorry!  :P