Author Topic: Replacement stop light switch for 68 with PDB  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Murf

Replacement stop light switch for 68 with PDB
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:22:47 PM »
Looking for correct part number for a brake light switch for a 68 Mustang, "J" code, POWER DISC brakes.  NPD catalog shows it s unique to 67 and 68 with PDB.  Hope to locate one locally but listings seem  ambiguous at best.  Anyone replaced this switch successfully and ended up with brake lights that work as they should (no excessive pedal pressure to make brake lights come on) and fits as the original with the spade connectors facing the correct direction?  Seems to be some confusion as to what is correct for this application.  Any help or advice appreciated.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: Replacement stop light switch for 68 with PDB
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:02:50 PM »
John,

Our aftermarket supplier also lists one unique to 67-68 PDB.

Here is a picture that matches what we currently have in stock:

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-68-POWER-DISC-BRAKE-LIGHT-SWITCH-P346.aspx

Does that one match what you currently have?

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:50:10 PM »
Brant, the image you posted looks like the one I "feel" when tryig to check the operation of mine.  From what I can tell, some of these switches have the spade terminals sticking out toward the drivers side of the car when installed, while others have the spade terminals pointing toward the passenger side of the car.  Mine may have been replaced at sometime since it is a California Special and has three times the normal load applied compared to the regular lighting arrangement on a 68.  the one in the car has the spade terminals pointing toward the drivers side when installed which would make it more difficult to change if a clutch pedal were in place.  I think the spring prssure that makes the switch contacts operate may be of a different value on a car with power brakes verses a non power brake car.  I wanted to use the old car this weekend and discovered that it takes more pedal pressure than one normally used during ann ordinary stop.  I became so confused trying to purchase locally trying to identify which is correct for the PDB 68 Mustangs and I assume Cougars as well. Looks as if the one you pictured is correct.  The listing I have found so far locally list only two switches - one for power brakes and one for non power brakes with no reference to one that is unique for PDB. Are there three seperate listings for the 68s?
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »
All the originals (PDB) I've seen have the terminals facing to the passenger side. They are identified by a C8 part # not a C7. There is also a C9 version that will work

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:56:06 AM »
The Ford Part Number that I have that matches my picture of the aftermarket switch that we sell is C9VY-13480-A (Motorcraft number SW-862.)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
Opening up an old post, hopefully adding some valuable related information.  Please see the attached file. The focus is on the 1967 MY but 68 is in the mix.  I have not yet looked at what the current reproduction sources look like in comparison.

It is interesting that from the C7ZB to C8ZB version the connector changed sides. Then with C9ZB it went back to the C7 side.  Then they flopped again like the C8 version.  Follow the bouncing ball.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 11:24:12 PM »
RW Lincoln C9VY part is often available NOS on eBay. The real ones are better than the Chinese reproductions as expected.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock