1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1971 - 1973

1971 Mach I Ram Air Question

(1/2) > >>

Laurie S.:
Through a business partnership I am acquiring a very solid, nice 1971 Mach I.  I got the Marti report and it does show it is a 351 2V with an FMX transmission, a/c, p/s, console, full tinted windows, and am radio.  The car has a NASA hood and Ram Air, but without the rubber seal.  I am being told that the Ram Air was put on by the dealer because a 351C with a/c wouldn't receive Ram Air from the factory. 

Is this true, or do I need to adjust my bs meter?  I won't be going concours with the car, but most likely occasional driver.  It depends on what is actually original.  There may be some other dealer changes, but I don't have any documentation yet.  Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I would like to know what is in my stable.

DWhitaker:
Laurie,
  Not so. My wife has a 71 Mach I 351 4V with ac that she has owned since 74. It is factory equipped with ram air and is so reflected on the Marti report. If not equipped with the ram air, the hood had honeycomb block off plates to cover the holes in the hood. Hope this helps.
                               Regards,
                               Dennis

Laurie S.:
Thanks Dennis, I haven't seen the car in person yet, so I can't check details.  What I did just learn is that the 351 2V cars (H code) couldn't receive Ram Air from the factory, so that's apparently what is happening here.  It's nothing to do with the a/c, but rather the engine code, which makes a lot more sense to me.

roadrunner:
In 71 only 351-4v, Boss 351's, and 429 cars could be equipped from the factory with Ram Air. In 72 only 351-2V cars had it from the factory which was also the year Ford lowered the compression ratio. Made no sense to me then or now.

svo2scj:
Ford got into an battle with US gov over 1972 emissions levels when they "tried" to submit the 2V figures to cover all engines with the 351C.  I think it was the 4V that DIDN'T pass the levels and thus lost the Ram Air

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version