Author Topic: 1966 Rear Cigarette Lighter?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
1966 Rear Cigarette Lighter?
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:43:46 PM »
One of the 1966 underdash harnesses that I just received as a core has an unusual extension to the early 1966 emergency flasher harness.  Normally, the 90* cigarette lighter (blue/white wire) connector plugs into a male bullet connector (orange wire), which has a pigtail of blue/white wire that connects to the actual lighter.  In this case, there's an additional pigtail of orange wire ending in a bullet connector and a blue/white pigtail ending in another 90* connector. 

I've run across a similar extension for later years (69?), suggesting a rear cigarette lighter position.  Yet, I've never heard of such a thing for 1966.  Further, the wire run is only about 24-30", not long enough to reach the end of a center console.

None of my documentation indicates such a extension for e-flasher/cigarette lighter.  Nor can I find another use for such a device. 

Has anyone run across this, and if so, what was it used for?

I can take a picture, if needed.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Engineer

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: 1966 Rear Cigarette Lighter?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 10:24:35 AM »
When I was a kid, my mother had purchased a new 1966 Mustang, Sprint 200. The second or third year we had it, she had a rear window defroster "installed" by the Ford dealer. We lived in Michigan (Detroit / Livonia) The unit was a small box with a heating element and fan that was set on the rear window deck. A wire harness was laid along the floor console and terminated at the back of the passenger seat with a female, cigarette lighter socket. To use this rear window defroster, we "kids" put the box on the rear window deck and plugged a cord into the harness (no on / off switch). I don't think this defroster was a Ford / Rotunda unit, even though it came from the Ford dealer. I believe it was aftermarket of some kind. The unit was black / brown on the bottom and creme color on the top / vent area. This might offer an explanation for the harness you have found. Rick (aka: Engineer)