Author Topic: Voltage Regulator Cover  (Read 4941 times)

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
Voltage Regulator Cover
« on: September 15, 2009, 01:02:47 PM »
When was the change to using rivets to secure the VR cover made? I always assumed OE 65-67 regulators used a small slot head screw to attach the cover. Also, was there another type of fastener used besides screws or rivets? Particularly interested in a 66 SJ car.

Thanks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Voltage Regulator Cover
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:42:33 PM »
Only seen rivets of screws on original cars. Change (from my understanding) to rivets started with the C8 versions

Here is a shot of an original (late 66 San Jose) regulator

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:19:50 PM »
Thanks Jeff, exactly the info I was looking for.

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 03:11:53 AM »
Thanks Jeff, exactly the info I was looking for.

Dave

That's what the site is about ;)

Your welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 06:38:55 AM »
So screws were used until '68ish then? my car is July 1965 Dearborn built, I am trying to make an electronic regulator look as original as possible with the addition of a reproduction original cover.... are these sheet metal screws or a small bolt and nut deal?
I went and bought the Standard motor parts VR166X top of the line regulator for mine and the plastic flap that sticks out is blue, I guess I'll need to somehow paint IT Black with paint that is suitable for plastic to try & make it look right?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:54:23 AM »
The attaching screws are just sheet-metal style screws.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 06:05:28 PM »
Great! Thanks Charles!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 06:59:49 PM »
So screws were used until '68ish then? my car is July 1965 Dearborn built, I am trying to make an electronic regulator look as original as possible with the addition of a reproduction original cover.... are these sheet metal screws or a small bolt and nut deal?
I went and bought the Standard motor parts VR166X top of the line regulator for mine and the plastic flap that sticks out is blue, I guess I'll need to somehow paint IT Black with paint that is suitable for plastic to try & make it look right?
Most people will take a old original regulator ,detail the base and put the guts from the electronic in it . Or one of the repros and do the same thing. I would advise against doing what you are attempting because it still will not have identifying bar across the plug opening. If you insist on proceeding with your plan you need to remove the plastic terminal ID shield completely and not paint it  ::). Your plug only goes in one way anyway unless you force it in. I think you will be the most satisfied doing it the other way I suggested after it is all said and done but that is just my opinion. I wish you only the best of luck what ever way you decide. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby