Author Topic: 67 S code Air Cleaner Clarification - APRIL 67 NJ  (Read 4322 times)

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
67 S code Air Cleaner Clarification - APRIL 67 NJ
« on: December 12, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »
I have a 67 S code Fastback, non-GT, C6 auto, Metuchen, 4/17/67 currently with a snorkel air cleaner w/emission pipe.  Two issues, I don't believe it should have the pipe, since this is a non closed crankcase system and the length of the snorkel is 11".

Anyone have a picture of a correct Air Cleaner, can give me the snorkel length and if it has the pipe or not?  Thanks, Mike
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 04:56:11 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 S code Air Cleaner Clarification
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »
This has been a discussion on the forums for allot of years - From my observations it appears that there were changes possibly made to what was used (yea big surprise - a running change in 67 production ;) and a number of different air cleaners based on a number of things.

First question I thing that applies is where was the car delivered, when was it built and where was it built?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »
Hi Jeff, I did  a search and couldn't find what I was looking for.  The car was built at Metuchen and delivered to Florida.  So based on what I know it would not and is not mentioned on the Marti report a closed emission system.  Mike

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 08:44:54 PM »
I have found more spot welded snorkle air cleaners on non gt cars, than the dual screen ones. I looked at a 67 convertible [original owner car] last year with original photo's of when he got the car home brand new from the dealership. Car still has every thing original under the hood.

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »
The one I have looks just like the one referenced in this post; http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1388.msg7547#msg7547 which Jeff refer's to as a 67 Thunderbird type.  I suspect it is not the correct one for my 67 S code w/o closed crankcase emission.  Also the snorkel is 11"  long.  I have found one that does not have the pipe, only a 8" snorkel and no baffle inside at the snorkel inlet.

I am just trying to determine which is correct.  It would be very helpful if someone could post of picture of one that is correct, including the inside w/o a air filter so I can see the detail.  Mike
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:23:56 PM by scodemike »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »
Checked and none of the 67 S code NJ cars I have pictures of include the air cleaner.

From your description of the one you have found I would think it does not match the description of any that are listed in the Ford documents of the time
Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 02:29:42 AM »
I have found more spot welded snorkle air cleaners on non gt cars, than the dual screen ones. I looked at a 67 convertible [original owner car] last year with original photo's of when he got the car home brand new from the dealership. Car still has every thing original under the hood.

It would be neat to see those pictures... ;)

I have a very original 67 non-GT S code Dearborn car and it has the snorkle...
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 06:42:02 AM »
scodemike,..can you post a pic of the air cleaner with the 8" snorkel?  Is the snorkle spot welded or bolted on?

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 09:30:55 AM »
It would be neat to see those pictures... ;)

I have a very original 67 non-GT S code Dearborn car and it has the snorkle...
Rodster, Could you measure the length of the snorkel for me and post a picture here or email me; scode@mustangsbymike.com  Thanks Mike
It appears to be spot welded.  I can't get the picture to post, sorry.  But, here is a link to the eBay listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-MUSTANG-390-4-V-AIR-CLEANER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb331ee93QQitemZ260704431763QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:36:15 AM by scodemike »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:14:35 PM »
I'm betting that that air cleaner is too tall to fit. Possibly from a truck or big car application

Will send you a picture of a Mustang one directly since posting isn't working out this moment
Jeff Speegle

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »
Thanks Jeff I received the email and appreciate the pictures.

As far as the eBay air cleaner that clarifies that and I will pass.  I had trouble trying to post pictures earlier, that is the reason for the link instead.  Mike

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »
The e-bay 67 air cleaner is actually a 66 t-bird air cleaner. 

Offline rodster

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 01:18:09 PM »
Rodster, Could you measure the length of the snorkel for me and post a picture here or email me; scode@mustangsbymike.com  Thanks Mike

Mike,
Sorry, the car isn't accessible at this time to measure the snorkel but maybe this picture will help.
Rod
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 01:22:10 PM »
Hi Rod, Thanks for the picture that is what I was looking for.  Now, either I need to remove the pipe on mine or find one with out one.  Mike