Author Topic: 1967 front grill details  (Read 2127 times)

Offline dan green

1967 front grill details
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:38:46 PM »
How should the front grill on a 67 be detailed/painted?
Should the rivets be painted the same blue/gray color as the grill?  The hood adjusting bumper brackets, painted the same as the grill or black?

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1967 front grill details
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »
All of the steel parts are SG black. The grill is blue-gray and the rivits are unpainted. It is best to dissemble it .Marty

Offline dan green

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »
Would an NOS service grill also be painted in that way?  Or were they different than an assembly line grill?

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
I had a Nov '66 dated service replacement grille still in the dated FoMoCo box that was painted correctly. I have seen another Feb '67 dated, FoMoCo boxed one that also was correct. Other than those two, I have never seen another service replacement grille that was correct. Some time during the 67 production cycle Ford must have given the OK to allow all replacements to be painted semi-gloss black after assembly.

As Marty stated, the grille mesh (aluminum) is painted a blue steel semi-metallic color. This color is not reproduced or available. Color matching an original is the only way to get the correct color. The 3 steel support brackets and the two attaching brackets are dipped semi-gloss black. The solid rivets are natural, sometimes steel, sometimes aluminum.

Regards,

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:40:20 AM »
I had a Nov '66 dated service replacement grille still in the dated FoMoCo box that was painted correctly. I have seen another Feb '67 dated, FoMoCo boxed one that also was correct. Other than those two, I have never seen another service replacement grille that was correct. Some time during the 67 production cycle Ford must have given the OK to allow all replacements to be painted semi-gloss black after assembly.

As Marty stated, the grille mesh (aluminum) is painted a blue steel semi-metallic color. This color is not reproduced or available. Color matching an original is the only way to get the correct color. The 3 steel support brackets and the two attaching brackets are dipped semi-gloss black. The solid rivets are natural, sometimes steel, sometimes aluminum.

Regards,

Where to find this date stamp on a service replacement part (NOS) ? Picture would be great. Or is the date just mentioned on the box label?

Thx Ralf
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »
I bought an NOS grille about a year ago, in a 1980's Ford package, and it is painted black (humming a Rolling Stones song now) unfortunately.  Getting paint matched to an original and will be refinishing it.

I would say that in 2018 finding an NOS with correct paint would be uber-rare.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »
The grill is not date stamped. It stating the dates, I used the original boxes the grills came it. Both had the black ink markings of when they were shipped to a dealership.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 11:44:53 AM »
I bought an NOS grille about a year ago, in a 1980's Ford package, and it is painted black (humming a Rolling Stones song now) unfortunately.  Getting paint matched to an original and will be refinishing it.

I would say that in 2018 finding an NOS with correct paint would be uber-rare.

True!

I found and bought one in a FORD box, but painted black. Some black has even gone, due to the box.
Looking to be painted in most correct colour (blue/grey metallic), but the brackets are riveted on and these are semi gloss black as I understood. May be to remove and to rivet new after painting new, but not having the correct equipment to do so.

EDIT:
Would be interesting what are the differences vs repro than.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:24:39 PM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »
My default answer is that you will not (almost never) be satisfied with repro out of the box.

Restoring the incorrect color NOS grille is a challenge, due to the rivets and color match, so I completely "feel your pain" which is compounded considering that you are overseas.  If I had a perfect match made for paint, I could send you a formula, but not the paint.  The formula would have to be interpreted, I imagine, and the material would be more restrictive on your end, I presume.  So I get the interest in differences to repros.  Personally I did not go that route so can't talk in detail.  Perhaps someone else will chime in.

I'm working with Jeroen on the same thing since he is trying to restore a grille.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660