Author Topic: 68 disc brake spindle  (Read 2428 times)

Offline 68 S Code

68 disc brake spindle
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
I'm looking for a pic of the back side of the spindle showing how the wire tie between the bolts looks, My wire rusted through and broke apart. Looking to get some aircraft grade stainless wire to replace the original but need a guide hench the pic request. Thanks

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 disc brake spindle
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »
I'm looking for a pic of the back side of the spindle showing how the wire tie between the bolts looks, My wire rusted through and broke apart. Looking to get some aircraft grade stainless wire to replace the original but need a guide hench the pic request. Thanks
The 68 assembly manual specifies how many twist of the wire and a very small illustration. The stainless wire although superior in performance doesn't look the same as the mechanics wire that was used on the assemblyline IMHO.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:09:43 AM »
Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
Bob thanks for the suggestion. Jeff great close up pics. Wish there was one a little further out showing the routing if wire between the two bolts. Interesting how there is a hole for the wire to pass through spindle casting.

By the way I notice a yellow paint line at the lower control arm mounting point on the back side of spindle. Is this normal? Should I replicate it. Only found on right side. Would left be similar or different color,

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
........ Jeff great close up pics. Wish there was one a little further out showing the routing if wire between the two bolts. Interesting how there is a hole for the wire to pass through spindle casting.

The upper and lower wires are not connected in any way - two separate pieces.  There is no hole in the spindle for the wire to pass through - they simply pass around the spindle and are arranged in the bolt so that the wire tightens quickly if the bolt becomes loose

By the way I notice a yellow paint line at the lower control arm mounting point on the back side of spindle. Is this normal? Should I replicate it. Only found on right side. Would left be similar or different color,

Your discribing the spindle (inner surface) near or at the point where its attached to the lower A arm? 

Have seen marks there but never a paint line that I recall
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 09:33:29 PM »
It looked in the photo you attached looked as if the wire passed through a hole in the spindle casting. I Will see if I can find a local example to take pics of. But the wires that cam off the spindles was definitely spanning between the two bolts. Even saved it so I could match up the gauge of wire. Looks like 19 or 20 ga.

Regarding the yellow mark it isn't in the machined area because that would be just a remnant from the paint on the ball joint stud. This is on the outer face of that area facing in towards side of engine. I will take pic and email it to you. Let me know what you think.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »
Thanks for the pics and explanation. Wires and shields done so time to surface the rotors and intall the bearings.