Author Topic: Interior paint color dash and doors - 67  (Read 5064 times)

Offline 2V8s

Interior paint color dash and doors - 67
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:26:38 AM »
Hi,

sorry I know this is a well discussed topic, ive read through lots of similar threads.

But just to be sure, is it possible on a JAnuary built san jose car that the door metal surfaces could have been painted a semi-gloss (on the matt side) flat black and the dash the charcoal metallic color?

This is how my car is at present and Im fairly confident it has not had any previous work on the interior.

I want to freshen up the paint on the doors (will do the dash later) and was wondering what paint code this was or a modern equivalent but generally it seems like these should have been in Charcoal Metallic as well, from what I have read. Im not sure if that would look quite right  :-\
1967 Mustang Convertible C code auto - San Jose 30th Jan 1967
1974 Corvette convertible 350 L48 Auto
2004 Mg ZT 260 SE (Ford V8)
1994 Rover 214 Si 16v
2005 Renault Grand Espace 2.2 DCi

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Interior paint color dash and doors - 67
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:26:39 AM »
The norm is charcoal black for all painted surfaces.  An old touch-up could appear original.  Consider the car is more than 40 years old, a lot of time for things to be done!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 2V8s

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
yeah. Im thinking to keep the doors semi gloss black to be honest - I think this looks better than it would do in the charcoal color but interested in other's opinions.

I found this useful link - has interior pain codes at the bottom

http://www.oldride.com/library/1967_ford_mustang.html

its all there for other years too, including a ref for the pre-67 style black
1994 Rover 214 Si 16v

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 01:54:04 PM »
I seriously doubt your interior doors were originally painted black instead of dark charcoal metallic. The paint simply was not available at the San Jose assembly plant because they would have had no use for it (only Mustangs assembled there).

I am sure Jeff has many references from San Jose cars confirming this.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »
But just to be sure, is it possible on a JAnuary built san jose car that the door metal surfaces could have been painted a semi-gloss (on the matt side) flat black and the dash the charcoal metallic color?

No  IMHO - have not seen any evidence of this on original cars nor could understand why the plant would make a change away from and back to Charcoal during that period

Charcoal metallic is often different to tell from semi-gloss black unless they are both fairly fresh and right next to one another - this lead to allot of people using semi-gloss for at least 14-20 years as what was expected when restoring or refreshening these cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:06:20 AM »
No  IMHO - have not seen any evidence of this on original cars nor could understand why the plant would make a change away from and back to Charcoal during that period

Charcoal metallic is often different to tell from semi-gloss black unless they are both fairly fresh and right next to one another - this lead to allot of people using semi-gloss for at least 14-20 years as what was expected when restoring or refreshening these cars
+1 . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 2V8s

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:21:13 PM »
Thanks guys spot on.

I scrapped off some paint and does seem a slighlty greyer layer under there (though no sign of metallicness but I guess after all those years in the california sun that could be expected to have faded). So I will run with the Charcoal black met all around in keeping with factory spec.
1994 Rover 214 Si 16v