Author Topic: Rear overspray  (Read 1814 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Rear overspray
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »
Was looking through (to respond to another question) the stack of unlabeled pictures I have and I ran across the following picture that illustrates well how much overspray did (in some cases) pass through the back up lamp hole and the end of  the hanging rear valance (attached with two or more screws depending on plant) onto the rear cross member and frame. Don't this is specific to any plant or years (could apply to any of them IMHO so thought I would share

Notice

1- The shadow (showing light gray primer) on the taillight panel where the valance was attached

2- Overspray of orange (this was a special paint car - Color of the Rainbow/Month promotion car) on the frame rail and rear cross member

3- While were there - this happens to be a 68 Spring San Jose car so you can make out the dolly mark and the second (further back on the frame rail) dolly mark. That mark was produced by the pad where the Cougar body would ride on the dolly if it was being used for that purpose this time

4- Rest of the rear cross member rusted over the years since it received no or very little primer from below (though it would have been galvanized originally) since the jets would have stopped spraying before they were at the very end of the car to reduce rain down on the current car or the one that followed

Hope this helps some one

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:48:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67 GTA

Re: Rear overspray
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:49:56 PM »
I have a 67 SJ car. If the valance panel was hung on the car before painting was there paint on the back (gas tank side) of the panel or was it red oxide? :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Rear overspray
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:16:28 AM »
I have a 67 SJ car. If the valance panel was hung on the car before painting was there paint on the back (gas tank side) of the panel or was it red oxide? :)

Original cars show that it was mostly red oxide primer sealer on the back side (applied to the panel before it got to the assembly plant) with a light dusting of overspray in some sections - mostly that and a little more at the ends as paint was applied to the surface  and passing through those back up light holes, as well as the ends, at the quarter panels where it hung down vertically  from the taillight panel. It was attached (brought in) to the quarter panel after body color was applied  but before the pinch weld was likely applied.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)