Author Topic: 1970 Boss Undercarriage  (Read 9811 times)

Offline buckeyeresto

1970 Boss Undercarriage
« on: November 05, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »
Hello, In the shop I have a 1970 Dearborn Boss 302 Build Date 9/25/1969.  Unfortunatley I don't have pictures as the owner had the car media blasted before it came to the shop to properly document the underside.  According to the owner he said the original color underside is mostly black, with a little dark green metalic.  My question is if its this way any pictures would be great help.  would the aframes be red primer or slope grey?  were does the sound deadner go in the tunnel and wheel wells etc.  any help would be great
thanks a bunch

nate

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Boss Undercarriage
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »
Very dark gray with a slight green tint would be a possibility from the ones I have samples of

Email me directly and I'll see what my collection has to offer
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:16:25 AM »
Jeff,

whats your email?  mine is nate@buckeyeresto.com

thanks

nate

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:26:57 PM »
If you click on my name above (or to the left in this post) it appears ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 03:01:17 AM »
The vast majority of 70's from that period I've seen were very much like the typical 69 Dearborn Mustangs and Cougars.  Much like the pictures I posted of the 69 Shelby I'm working shown elsewhere here

1- Floor pans a variation of the batch color - Medium to dark gray with a tint towards blue or green.

Here are some 69 Dearborn pictures showing some of the vatiations

70 Dearborn with a very green tint

2- Frame rails (front ones) and inner fender panels from about where the firewall is - forwards red oxide epoxy primer. NOTE - I do have pictures of one 70 Dearborn car sprayed with batch color from the firewall forward. (in the 117xxx range) but believe currently that this may just be an oddity and not typical

3- Rocker seam. seat belt anchors and quarter drops sealant applied after floor paint applied

4- Front wheelwells  (wheel side)- Body color at the rear, red oxide  (no body color or black) towards the middle (shock tower area), a little or allot of overspray from painting the inner aprons fender lip and the radiator support front face. This can extend rearward for a foot or so in some examples. Something like this (likely scrubbed some overspray off when I cleaned it). Sound deadener over some of the details

5 - Rear wheel wells are typical at all plants. Sound deadener before exterior body color. Covers approx 80% + of the wheel well surface with over spray (matching the spray pattern found on the wheel well) on rear frame rails (forward and rearward of the rear axle bumper mount), sometimes near rear outer seat belt anchor

Body color over most of this normally extending beyond the sound deadener overspray. We should not see ANY sound deadener over body color or pinch weld/wheel well paint.

6- Don't typically see sound deadener in the tunnel but from time to time you will find seam sealer at the floor to firewall seam above the front of the trans. Believe this was applied when the seam gap was too large to fill the void.

If the car was a Mach I then we have many more sound deadener patterns

7- Front wheel well sound deadener (like every year) was applied after the car was assembled (short of front wheels and tires)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »
There are so many variations of batch paint it is hard to go wrong as long as long as Gray is the main color content as Jeff points out . There are some shade combinations that seem to be more common then others IMHO. Dearborn built Shelby's and Boss cars have been my main observation though unlike Jeff 's wider data base. Just my 2 cents. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »
Thanks Jeff,  Those are gona help alot.  The next question I have is the formula for dark slope gray?  also any pictures of the underside of fenders, and valances

I also am guessing that underhood sags should run up and down as hoods were painted seperate?

thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 06:53:19 PM »
Thanks Jeff,  Those are gona help alot.  The next question I have is the formula for dark slope gray?

No real formula and we don't want all these cars to look like a cookie cutter image of the others (IMHO too much of that has gone on in the past)

Start with a good epoxy primer and add in 50% of some gray exterior color (I started with 2001 VW  color - Cinza Urano code L17F- on a recent project, add some left over black and some blue or green

also any pictures of the underside of fenders, and valances

The undersides of the front fender often will receive a little or allot of sound deadener at the end but the front valance and the fenders would be red oxide with body color overspray - more along the edges with a 90 degree flange since the painter would want that covered well and the back side support on the front fenders since that is visible through the door jamb later. In some cases the amount of body color on the back sides of these panels is pretty good

Rear valance was painted on the car  (but not attached at the bottom at that time) so overspray on it is minimal - most at the ends than typically elsewhere

I also am guessing that underhood sags should run up and down as hoods were painted seperate?

Don't know (recall)  the direction the hoods were hanging - just have not spent allot of time going through all the pictures to identify patters, but the original paint hood (70 Dearborn - 0F02G197xxx) below appears to have the runs and drips going to the left

Hoods, fenders, front valance, lower grill bar and head light buckets were shot off the car away from the unibody. The window stop plates were most often set on the cowl and shot with the body. Doors, trunk and rear valance were attached to the body at the time it was painted color. Quarter entensions appear to have been in place during the process also though spaced away from the main body slightly

Interior and bottom of the doors are painted differently depending on what interior (standard or deluxe) was ordered
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 11:06:36 AM »
Here's some shots of a Dearborn 4.30 drag pak car we just pulled in, and it is the first batch paint car I have seen.  These pics don't show it, but this isn't slop gray with Medium Lime Metallic in it - its more like straight Medium Lime Metallic.  Gotta wipe down an area to be sure but this look like they shot the lime paint straight out of the can. The car is Silver Blue metallic on the exterior.

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 11:38:02 PM »
Here's some shots of a Dearborn 4.30 drag pak car we just pulled in, and it is the first batch paint car I have seen.  These pics don't show it, but this isn't slop gray with Medium Lime Metallic in it - its more like straight Medium Lime Metallic.  Gotta wipe down an area to be sure but this look like they shot the lime paint straight out of the can. The car is Silver Blue metallic on the exterior

First - welcome David - you found us. :)

Yes but 70 we see allot of different batch colors. In some cases (similar to the one you are working on) the exterior and the interior colors were very close. Yours would be this way if the exterior had been one of the greens

I think this is why we use to see cars where owners that thought the cars were painted with the same color top and bottom.  Below is just three of the completely different colors we've found on 70 Dearborn colors. Sure there are more. Since green was a very popular color it's understandable IMHO that the batch color (following periods where allot of green cars were painted) would look greener.

Its really a contrast for some - know a number of green batch color cars that are red or orange on the exterior . Not the most pleasing combinations where the floor and overpray colors come together IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 10:45:28 AM »
Yes but 70 we see allot of different batch colors. In some cases (similar to the one you are working on) the exterior and the interior colors were very close. Yours would be this way if the exterior had been one of the greens

I think this is why we use to see cars where owners that thought the cars were painted with the same color top and bottom.  Below is just three of the completely different colors we've found on 70 Dearborn colors. Sure there are more. Since green was a very popular color it's understandable IMHO that the batch color (following periods where allot of green cars were painted) would look greener.

The funny thing is - these colors aren't even close!  This car is code 6 Silver Blue metallic.  Green floors on a blue car = yuck!  It makes for neat conversation though...

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »

The funny thing is - these colors aren't even close!  This car is code 6 Silver Blue metallic.  Green floors on a blue car = yuck!  It makes for neat conversation though...

Yes as mentioned - sometimes they are close or at least compliment each other - other times it can be down right ugly.

But it is what it is - and we move on ;)
Jeff Speegle