Author Topic: Paint Daubs - Assembly and Service parts markings  (Read 17881 times)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Paint Daubs - Assembly and Service parts markings
« on: July 23, 2009, 05:16:29 PM »
Just as with the early cars SVO assembly used colored paint daubs, coded componet and LH/RH to aid in fast and correct assembly on the line.

The cars were "different" in the sense that almost everything was unique and specific to the SVO. 

Use this area to post photos of ASSEMBLY shots or NOS Ford PARTS with boxes

We'll learn as we go..

Mark

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:18:47 PM by svo2scj »
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline svo2scj

Re: Paint Daubs - Rarely seen OIL PLUG daub
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »

Seen here on a < 2000 Mile 1986 SVO the oil plug is daubed to show undisturbed seal from the engine assembly stage.

Most daubs are for identification - in this case it sends a signal if it has been moved.

Mark

Offline svo2scj

Re: Paint Daubs - SVO Convienience Spare Tire
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 06:28:57 PM »

Shown here the daubs identifing the larger donut to clear the disc brakes on any axle.

Remember ,the SVO was the first Mustang to use rear disc's from the factory and the first to use a 16" wheel.  Goodyear T125/80D16

Mark
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:03:55 PM by svo2scj »

Offline svo2scj

Re: Paint Daubs - Front Koni's
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
Left to Right..

Assembly line E4ZX #                 Ford Service               Koni factory replacement
      1983/84                          86 valving pkg 87                  PRE 1996 parts

NOTE: The Yellow daub of the early valving and a change to the WELDS moving forward

"Business end" of the adjustable Koni from SVO's Only the "D" shaped shaft was fitted. 

NOTE :CURRENT Koni Replacements are all "thumb nail" adjusters and are painted NEW KONI RED

Mark

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:55:42 PM by svo2scj »

Offline svo2scj

Re: Paint Daubs - Rear Koni's
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Left to Right

84 Valving             85 Valving               Service 85.5/86 pkged 5/19/86*

NOTE: *Packaged a month after production stopped (4/22/86)

Mark

Offline 8T6 SVO

Alternator paint daubs
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 03:59:20 PM »
When I restored this engine, I found exactly one NOS alternator out there with the proper part # on it from the build time frame of this 1986 SVO.  It had a GREEN SPOT of paint as I have observed on other production alternators of that period - and on cars other than SVO's too.  Can anyone confirm this green paint daub?

Offline bluemax

Re: Alternator paint daubs
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 08:10:54 PM »
When I restored this engine, I found exactly one NOS alternator out there with the proper part # on it from the build time frame of this 1986 SVO.  It had a GREEN SPOT of paint as I have observed on other production alternators of that period - and on cars other than SVO's too.  Can anyone confirm this green paint daub?

Greg,

Looking through my picture collection, I have one from a "26 mile" '86 2R owned by the Hatfield's I believe, and it does not have the green paint daub on it. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a good picture of the alternator from Daniel's two cars.

Any response from our moderator...Mark???

Offline bluemax

Re: Paint Daubs - Assembly and Service parts markings
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »
Here is a picture from the "171 mile" car that was recently on eBay...

Offline 8T6 SVO

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 09:34:52 PM »
I've got that same picture from when the car had 94 miles on it - which is what brought up this question. 

I have seen an original 1984 GT turbo with the same green dot on it - maybe the alternator I got was just a left over. I really haven't paid too much attention to SVO's.

It does look like a black paint mark on the 171/94 mile svo alternator?

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 10:18:15 PM »
I have found the green mark on NOS SERVICE Alternators (can't say on line parts yet)

This is the purpose of this forum - let's look , document and confirm against original cars.

Mark

Offline Kendal Coker

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 11:22:35 PM »
I found a green dot near the bolt on my 85.5 cp. I did find a black daub on my 84 that I bought new and have never changed the alt. Here are pics of that and some other markings of my 84.

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 06:04:21 PM »

Kendal,
            my wrecked 84 t-top has very similar marks. I'm assuming that the "11 17" on the inner fender and bumper cover are the build date, although they appear to have been made with different stamps. The "5" on the core support is also there but on both sides and also on both sides of the hood inner structure near where the hood bumpers hit.

My other early 84 has a "T" in place of the "5". I've never worked out what the significance of that letter/number is.
I'll get some pics when i return from MI.
84 1C MA 3EF132078 .....amongst others

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 11:55:30 PM »
As an "outsider" to the SVO world I thought I would offer the possibility that one or more of these may be inspector (such as paint inspector) identification stampings since they were placed on the part after the paint (would not make much sense IMHO to be a date code for the stamping)  similar to what was done in the early years.

Just a possibility  - keep up the good work
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 08:17:06 PM »
Jeff, although I've never compared the "date stamp" to the actual build date of a vehicle, this is what I believe it to be. Your statement that it may be a stamping date, or date code, would be correct but for the fact that fox body cars used date codes.

I have found codes stamped into the sheetmetal on fenders, doors, hoods and hatches. As for paint checks, when we pulled the carpet on my 1E/9L t-top we found what appeared to be an assembly line check sheet for paint. It was pretty deteriorated but that's what it looked like.

I've done photo studys of some very low mileage cars and never seen anything like the "Henry" stamps you see on 65-69 cars.
84 1C MA 3EF132078 .....amongst others

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 08:57:26 PM »
Names as inspector marks was a late 68-70 San Jose thing but was thinking more along the lines of the late 70 sort of marks (numbers in place of some of the sticker/decals

71-73 used a series of letters

Or a combination of letters and numbers as in this original 72 one

Again - just a thought may not relate at all
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)