Author Topic: TSB 86-6-12 "Turbocharger- Water Cooled Service Replacement"  (Read 3431 times)

Offline chalkys_explorer

TSB 86-6-12 "Turbocharger- Water Cooled Service Replacement"
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »

Hi All,
        well here something I'm assuming most have never seen but might be of interest and the rather interesting story that goes with. TSB 86-6-12 was a technical service bulletin relesed by Ford to deal with Turbocharger failures on 83-84 Mustang SVO, Mustang GT and Thunderbird Turbo Coupes. It states, "Turbocharger failure of any of the above-mentioned vehicles should be replaced with a 1985 watercooled turbocharger assembly, E4ZZ-9G438-D (SVO only)or E3ZZ-9G438-D (T-bird/ mustang)"

When i purchased my 84 1E t-top all the engine accessories were sitting in the trunk area. During inventory i noticed some strange heater tubes and hoses and that the turbo was a water cooled variant witha Ford tag on the rear of the compressor housing. I called Charlie at Evergreen Turbo who informed me it was a "Ford Rebuilt" unit. It was also attached to an E6 exhaust manifold. A further discussion with Mike Fleming led to the discovery of the TSB in question and I found all the info on alldatadiy.com

Basically the premise involves replacing oil cooled turbo's with the water/oil 85.5 up turbo's. What's interesting is that many of the stock 84 cooling tubes and hoses were left in place and some were replaced with the later 85.5/86 parts or with some Merkur parts. The main one is a hose that runs from the oil cooler, over the valve cover to the "18674" heater tube.

I have been collecting these parts for my restoration but had never actually seen such an install in person. Then at the IMM in Red Deer, Canadian Glen Walker showed me his very original 1C 84, which had had this replacement done. I am very grateful to Glen for letting me oull his intercooler of on the show field so I can present the following pics to you.
84 1C MA 3EF132078 .....amongst others

Offline Ken Potter

Re: TSB 86-6-12 "Turbocharger- Water Cooled Service Replacement"
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 01:36:46 PM »
It's been a while but I remember seeing an 84 with the engine half apart with a similar cooling set up. I just figured it was some kind of aftermarket or backyard upgrade. I'll be on the look out from now on...

Offline rodster

Re: TSB 86-6-12 "Turbocharger- Water Cooled Service Replacement"
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:19:07 PM »
I know it's been awhile since this was originally posted, but I'm currently looking at what I believe is a Water Cooled Service Replacement on my 84 SVO and would love to see the pictures that were posted in this topic since they are not showing up now.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A