Author Topic: Putting fastback on rotisserie  (Read 3681 times)

Offline 68jcodefastback

Putting fastback on rotisserie
« on: January 19, 2012, 04:24:01 PM »
Is it possible to put car on rotisserie without removing the front and rear glass.  I restored this car a few years ago and want to now do the undercarriage and don't want to remove what I don't have to. I know this is  Any help would be welcomed.

Offline 67gta289

Re: Putting fastback on rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »
Since there are many different rotisseries out there, the answer is determined by answering two questions:
1. If the physical connection does not interfere with the glass, then you pass gate #1.  Most that I've seen and used attach to where the bumpers bolt to, so no interference.  Also, since bumpers are the same for coupe/vert/2+2 the fastback is not a factor here.
2. What is the weight carrying capability of the rotisserie you plan to use, and what is the weight of your vehicle (considering what is installed, and the glass adds weight, and the fastback perhaps a bit more glass weight).
More than likely you will be ok.
The other consideration is how structurally sound the car is.  If there is copious rust, you might want to consider bracing where you remove the doors to eliminate sag.  If you are not removing the doors, see item #2 above.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline sparky65

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »
Having just put my windows in I am surprised at how little holds them in there.  Id be very concerned the glass may fall out when the car is rotated.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:08 PM »
Some rotisseries are not adjustable for center-of-gravity; some are.  With having glass (windshield and back-glass) installed, the car will be a bit more top-heavy than without it. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:49:15 PM »
I think you would be fine leaving the backglass in but the windshield might be more of a gamble. There is never any guarantees with glass even if you do remove them that they will not break. Glass will flex a lot but if it is weakend by a rock chip or some kind of flaw it will break. If you decide to leave in the backglass, I would tape it up using 2'' tape in a X pattern and some up and down jut in case it breaks it will not blow out all over the place as this is tempered glass vs. the windshield that is laminated. The biggest pain in putting in backglass is those darn moldings that are set in the rubber.
 I am assuming here you have all the drivetrain out...CHRIS
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline 68jcodefastback

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
Since there are many different rotisseries out there, the answer is determined by answering two questions:
1. If the physical connection does not interfere with the glass, then you pass gate #1.  Most that I've seen and used attach to where the bumpers bolt to, so no interference.  Also, since bumpers are the same for coupe/vert/2+2 the fastback is not a factor here.
2. What is the weight carrying capability of the rotisserie you plan to use, and what is the weight of your vehicle (considering what is installed, and the glass adds weight, and the fastback perhaps a bit more glass weight).
More than likely you will be ok.
The other consideration is how structurally sound the car is.  If there is copious rust, you might want to consider bracing where you remove the doors to eliminate sag.  If you are not removing the doors, see item #2 above.

Offline 68jcodefastback

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I will be putting this on the auto twiler pro model and would like to detail to concourse quality. I will try it with the glass and hope it works.  I am sure I will have many more questions and sure appreciate the help.  68jcode

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:44:34 AM »

I will be putting this on the auto twiler pro model and would like to detail to concourse quality.

I bought a AUTO TWIRLER several years ago and I am very satisfied with it. Once the car is set up on it correctly it is very stable, easy to move around or adjust in any position. One of the best equipment investments I have purchased, highly recommended.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007