Author Topic: Lockset Restoration  (Read 2469 times)

Offline MWM

Lockset Restoration
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »
I want to restore both the door lock sets, trunk and the ignition lockset. All seem to have some crud in them and are stiff to turn, otherwise they work. What is good method to clean the lock sets? Can I clean them without completely taking the lock sets apart? What do I use lube them with afterwards? Can you use white lithium grease?
thank you!

Offline jwc66k

Re: Lockset Restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »
If time is not a problem take your locks, and a key, to a locksmith and see what they can do. If you are a "do it to yourselfer", try squirting brake cleaner into the lock and twisting the key. Repeat. Crud should come out. Brake cleaner will evaporate so be persistant. When (and if) this works, get some graphite powder in the slot for lubrication. WD-40 may work but it attracts and retains dirt.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:53:18 AM »
+1 on graphite
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
I would buy a new set of locks.
These new locks can be recoded to suit the key number in your owners manual within keeping everything matching... or install the set as is. 

I'm trying to steer you away from rebuilding your original locks as the barrel casting will be worn, while the barrels can be repined they won't have that fresh feel.
Even with a key cut to code (not a duplicate from a worn original) the operation could be hit or miss.

On a early Mustang I would also purchase a ignition housing as well.

WD40 can be used to wash your locks out then followed up some type of dry spray to obsorb  the WD and give a light coating  (In Oz we have Shelley's Dry lube or Zip ease)
While you can use Graphite (I wouldn't- Sorry caspian65 and jwc66k :-[) as it will end up all over your hands in your pockets every time your unlock your car.

64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »
While you can use Graphite (I wouldn't- Sorry caspian65 and jwc66k :-[) as it will end up all over your hands in your pockets every time your unlock your car.
I used graphite as an alternative to any liquid (oil) or grease way back when I raced off-road. It's a matter of function in adverse conditions over clean pants. I can live with that. The amount of graphite used is minimal, locks are not large, and the benefits may be better than "stickey". You're correct about replacing the housing if you choose to replace lock sets. What may also be a consideration is that new locks most likely will not require buffing on the exposed surface.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MWM

Thanks GD64!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »
Okay, I ended up buying a set of NOS locks after all. Wowie - Zowie Batman!  The replacement locks work great, no sticking, no drag, just a smooth operation.  I purchased a complete set and this is probably one of the cheaper NOS investments I have made.  Thanks for the suggestion GD64!  The old locks were worn in addition to having crud in them.