Author Topic: 69 boss fenders  (Read 9859 times)

Offline joe747

69 boss fenders
« on: December 19, 2009, 07:41:34 PM »
did the 69 boss fenders come with a rolled lip like the 70 boss

Offline joe747

Re: 69 boss fenders
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »
i have a pair of 70 fenders that are rolled but i do not think there is a rolled bar on the inside of the lip. do you think they are not  real boss fenders . i was told they were and they orginal

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 03:11:24 PM »
i have a pair of 70 fenders that are rolled but i do not think there is a rolled bar on the inside of the lip. do you think they are not  real boss fenders . i was told they were and they orginal
My 70's (Dearborn) did not have the rod inside. Don't know if a rod was used to roll every boss fender or not. This is just my opinion but, I think the use of a rod to assist rolling the fenders would slow down the process. Maybe ford used it early on but once they got the hang of it (this is a 10 minute job for an experienced body man) it would not be necessary.

To answer your original question, lack of a rod does not mean they are not originals.
Rick Maginnis
April, '70 Dearborn Boss 302
0F02G18xxxx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »
Think the original question was if the 70's were rolled (lip) like the the 69's

Agreed that I should have clarified that I had found the rod and the sealant on early 69's Could be one of those things (like the rewelded rear shock/frame bracket) that got deleted for time or cost considerations

Thanks for bringing this back up
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brandon Badel

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
I have worked on both and the 69 Boss 429 and 302 seem to have the rod in them.  The seventy did not. I will try to post pic later.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 05:09:37 PM »
I have worked on both and the 69 Boss 429 and 302 seem to have the rod in them.  The seventy did not. I will try to post pic later.

Did the ones you've seen have the sealant or chalking spread over the ends?  Some of the later ones I've seen were missing that detail.

I will try to post pic later.

Thanks - will save me crawling under mine ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 03:10:25 PM »
 Jeff, I would like to see a pic of a 69 302 fender with the rod. I have not seen any. Every 69 302 fender factory installed I've observed had the sealer. The Nos Service fenders I've had, no sealer? I double checked the original paint Blue Boss that you saw at the judges meeting, sealer, no rod? 5-1-D2 date code in fenders.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »
Jeff, I would like to see a pic of a 69 302 fender with the rod...............

Will find time and a way to get a picture of the inside of that roll for you and others watching the discussion

For the ones I've seen without the sealer as always the stuff could have come off, poor application or been removed at some point.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:31:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 11:51:21 PM »
Checked the drivers sided of the only one of those mentioned above and I was mistaken. Not the first time its happen but at least it was the last one of the decade. In any case now I have to remember where I saw the rod so I can sleep at night. But the bottom line is getting the correct information to the viewers and correcting any thing necessary along the way (will delete the first post so that there is no confusion in the future from someone viewing the post.

So I respectfully and joyfully agree that what I found is as Bob mentioned - 69 Boss fenders were rolled and sealed the full length (or were suppose to be) of the roll.

I'm sure Ed will read this and report to one of us that he was right also. So yes Ed you were correct also.

Now back to my search ;) and the repair of my original sealant :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 12:02:24 AM »
Checked the drivers sided of the only one of those mentioned above and I was mistaken. Not the first time its happen but at least it was the last one of the decade. In any case now I have to remember where I saw the rod so I can sleep at night. But the bottom line is getting the correct information to the viewers and correcting any thing necessary along the way (will delete the first post so that there is no confusion in the future from someone viewing the post.

So I respectfully and joyfully agree that what I found is as Bob mentioned - 69 Boss fenders were rolled and sealed the full length (or were suppose to be) of the roll.

I'm sure Ed will read this and report to one of us that he was right also. So yes Ed you were correct also.

Now back to my search ;) and the repair of my original sealant :(
Jeff, any ideas (speculation) why Ford would seal the lip? This seems like the wrong thing to do as it will with absolute certainty trap water and accelerate rust through. Just curious what your throughts are.
Rick
Rick Maginnis
0F02G18xxxx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 03:30:46 AM »
Jeff, any ideas (speculation) why Ford would seal the lip? This seems like the wrong thing to do as it will with absolute certainty trap water and accelerate rust through. Just curious what your throughts are.

Speculation? Well that is exactly what it would be. Some engineer with allot more education than I must have figured it was a benefit at the time. If the application was good, with no low points and it bonded with the metal everywhere then there is no way for water to get trapped. But we know this is not a perfect world.

At the same time we (well I haven't) seen many if any 69 Boss 302's with the front fender lips rusted off ;)  So maybe the engineer was right. But why protect this area? I don't know
Jeff Speegle

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 02:04:06 AM »

Speculation? Well that is exactly what it would be. Some engineer with allot more education than I must have figured it was a benefit at the time. If the application was good, with no low points and it bonded with the metal everywhere then there is no way for water to get trapped. But we know this is not a perfect world.

At the same time we (well I haven't) seen many if any 69 Boss 302's with the front fender lips rusted off ;)  So maybe the engineer was right. But why protect this area? I don't know
You live in a "no-rust" state so you probably wouldn't have the opportunity to see any  :D  Maybe Ford figured this small gap woulld be a trap for dirt and debris which would store moisture then rust. Just one more mystrey to keep us awake at night. (no, not really) :)
Rick Maginnis
0F02G18xxxx

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 08:23:42 AM »
 You live in a "no-rust" state so you probably wouldn't have the opportunity to see any  :D  Maybe Ford figured this small gap woulld be a trap for dirt and debris which would store moisture then rust. Just one more mystrey to keep us awake at night. (no, not really) :)

Ran across this fender yesterday...looks like a little rust problem on the lip here.  I figure that if nothing else someone searching for Boss fenders with the rod that this picture might help visualize it.  It does leave nothing to the imagination!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:26:26 AM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 04:35:50 PM »
Thanks - unfortunate for owner but the rusting away provides us a good view of the rod
Jeff Speegle