Author Topic: Master Cylinder Paint  (Read 4785 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Master Cylinder Paint
« on: April 23, 2012, 07:57:23 PM »
I was wondering what people were using to paint their M.C. with.  I used some Dupli Color ceramic paint and the first time I put the band on that holds the cover it was badly scratched.  Am I stupid or is there a trick to putting the cover on with out scratching the cover.  Also won't most break fluid dissolve the paint on the reservoir if it comes in contact.  Has anybody ever used POR 15 for this.

Thank you,

David,
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Master Cylinder Paint
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:40:10 PM »
POR would be my last choice (really hate the stuff)  not sure if you could get it in the right amount of gloss and its normally very thick

I've just used trim black and would not worry about a single scratch from the bale - could always touch it up once the cap was installed and tight
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:51:46 PM »
Eastwood offers paint specifically for master cylinders that they claim isn't affected by brake fluid. Never used it, but just the info along.
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »
Thanks guys, I guess I'm not the first one to scratch the cover or will I be the last, the way it sounds.
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:32:05 AM »
Thanks guys, I guess I'm not the first one to scratch the cover or will I be the last, the way it sounds.

And a good judge IMHO would not deduct paint from a one time mark from a bale as long as it not rusted ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 01:15:20 AM »
And a good judge IMHO would not deduct paint from a one time mark from a bale as long as it not rusted ;)
+1 .Technically it is my opinion that no scratch would be inappropriate. The pre delivery process includes checking the brake fluid and the cover would naturally be scratched during this checking/filling process. Just my thoughts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:25:47 AM »
+1 It would be ridiculous to to deduct for a scratch or mark on the paint. Marty

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
Thanks everybody for the input this makes total sense when you look at it this way. I thought I had really screwed something up and was going to fix it, now I can move on to the next task.

David,
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline MWM

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 11:21:43 PM »
David,
Shh... Don't tell anyone (judges), but I had my MC powder coated on the outside only.  It looks pretty close to the natural metal without the rust and has held up well to brake fluid.  There, my secret is out.
Good Luck!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:27:35 PM »
David,
Shh... Don't tell anyone (judges), but I had my MC powder coated on the outside only.  It looks pretty close to the natural metal without the rust and has held up well to brake fluid.  There, my secret is out.
Good Luck!
FYI 65 - 70 Mustangs had the master painted black and not natural.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »
Leaking brake fluid is a big problem when trying to keep a freshly painted MC looking good. In my experience the 65-66 disc brake MC's are particularly bad at this. What I've found that works well is to spread a very thin layer of silicone gasket sealer (I use Permatex Ultra Black) on the outside edge of the gasket where it contacts the top of the MC. Been doing this for a number of years now and it has worked great.

Dave