Author Topic: De-Rusting AC Lines using Evapo-Rust  (Read 1591 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

De-Rusting AC Lines using Evapo-Rust
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »
I have been looking for a spare set of 1979 AC lines for a 5.0.  They are obsolete and I have the pair that is on the car, but I also wanted a spare set because they are so hard to find.  Well, I bought a set and they were really rusty.  They had not rusted all the way through but a little longer and they might.  There is a company that will restore the lines but can be expensive depending on the condition.  I will let them fix these but I wanted to see what I could do first.

1.  The AC Lines before

2. So using Evapo-Rust I let them soak for about two weeks, taking them out periodically and scrubbing using an old tooth brush.

And after I removed them and washed them off and let them dry.  What do you think?  Not perfect but a lot better.

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: De-Rusting AC Lines using Evapo-Rust
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:15:28 PM »
-Look pretty nice!! wonder if you could further them by polishing them with metal polish or steel wool or??
-may be also replace the foam padding with something simmiliar from a plumbing insulation type thing??

Offline 79mustangcobra

Re: De-Rusting AC Lines using Evapo-Rust
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »
There is a company that restores these.  I thought about sending them to them to see what they could do.
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6