Author Topic: Unrestored 67 A code Mid Year San Jose Pictures  (Read 3410 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Unrestored 67 A code Mid Year San Jose Pictures
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:33:30 PM »
Disclaimer: :) As always we need to warn that unrestored does not always mean unaltered by previous owners. Just because this car has/had a specific detail does not mean your car was built just the same. Always do your research, document your findings and make the best choice for you and your expectations.

Cars' VIN is -  7R01A1533xx (projected build date of about Dec 15th). Unfortunately the car had been repainted once (though they didn't get low enough to completely erase the pinch weld black out and they did mask off the bottom of the car :)  Mostly under carriage shots since that was the most untouched section of this car. Not often we see a Burnt Amber/Medium Saddle Haircell car.

Door tag info -  65A   V   2F   15M   71   1  W

Nice shot of the original caliper safety wire routing and method.

Lots of nice drips and bubbles on this one

Shots of the pinchweld black out overpsray. Unfortunately with the Burnt Amber the exterior color does not show up well against the read oxide floor pans.  Its not unusual to find the rocker panel to floor seam sealant has fallen off over the years. As you can see that this side is gone

New gas tank but all the sending unit wire clips are still there

Rear frame rail shot showing the shipping tie down, hardware, dolly mark and pinch weld black out overspray from the wheelwell and rear quarter application

Typical body color rear wheelwell and exposed frame rails

As usual the sound deadener in the rear wheelwell does not go all the way to the fender lip - like we see on many restored car. A wiped bead of sealant is applied between where the sound deadner stops and where the lip is formed

Close up of the visual section of the rear spring stampings

Hope this helps someone
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:33:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Unrestored 67 A code Mid Year San Jose Pictures
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:01:16 AM »
VIN 1274XX is my early 67, S.J., scheduled build date 11/01/66, actual build date 11/02/66
Doing the math, they built nearly 26,000 units in about 6 weeks  :o Wow! That seems amazing!
Check my math: (based on 7 days/week) Is this like 26 units/hr? Further research indicates that Milpitas plant produced at peak 55 CARS and 22 TRUCKS per hour! That seems absolutely stunning! My hat's off to those boys and girls of the late 50's to mid 80's in N.California! ::)

Anyways, my 67 spent most of its driven life in the inland & desert areas of Southern Calif., and has been garaged, not driven in NE Ohio for the last 16 years so most of the undercarriage is in remarkably good condition, very much like this car's underside is. I should be able to upload a few shots to help steer others to original features and details as seen here. My car has been repainted a few times so some of the black out might not be clear. We'll see as I roll it over on the rotisserie. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:29:36 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:59:18 PM »
VIN 1274XX is my early 67, S.J., scheduled build date 11/01/66, actual build date 11/02/66
Doing the math, they built nearly 26,000 units in about 6 weeks  :o Wow! That seems amazing!
Check my math: (based on 7 days/week) Is this like 26 units/hr?

Well I guess that would be a good guess. We could be allot more accurate if we knew for sure when the threads example was really built

Further research indicates that Milpitas plant produced at peak 55 CARS and 22 TRUCKS per hour! That seems absolutely stunning! My hat's off to those boys and girls of the late 50's to mid 80's in N.California! ::)

Of course considering the number of lines there that might break down to 10 or so cars an hour per line. Sure the paper records of production are around somewhere

Anyways, my 67 spent most of its driven life in the inland & desert areas of Southern Calif.,..............I should be able to upload a few shots to help steer others to original features and details as seen here. My car has been repainted a few times so some of the black out might not be clear. We'll see as I roll it over on the rotisserie. :)

Just follow this template and start a new thread. The more the merrier with the unrestored examples. As long as you include notes with the pictures you can steer viewers away from things that were done later from the things that are original.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »
Followup post on findings and markings on my 11/2/1966 built S.J..

Everything I find closely matches the photographs found in this thread. Several subtle differences noticed, but these differences would be consistant with the human factor of the assembly line. Most notable would be a considerably LESS amount of blackout overspray on the underbody. My example more or less, doesn't cover with the black as much of the floorpans. Also, the body color is much more evident in the rear wheel wells, not as "black" or maybe not as much worn off, hard to say, it just has much more. Other interesting note is the pinkish red oxide underbody color tapers off significantly about the center of the gas tank, to almost undetectable by the time it gets to the back crossmember at the tail panel. I only find surface rust back that far. I also have good images of the sealant around the center seat belt plates.

I'll be taking some more pictures after I get the rest of the floor scrubbed cleaned. I am over 80% done with that, but I am moving very slowly so as to protect any of the undamaged original finishes. The thing I notice the most is that EVERY single scratch or dent, scrape or bend I find is the result of something I did to the car while I was young, evidence that these cars did NOT hold up while attempting the same kind of stunts seen in TV shows like Starsky and Hutch, The Rockford Files, Baretta or Dukes of Hazzard :/ Well, at least I had fun, right? lol  :D

Other underbody markings: So far, the only crayon markings found have been the famous "D" on the wheel well side of the front right apron. (what does "D" stand for anyways?)  It was found behind the front splash shield, down low, just above the curve under for the battery.

If anybody wants pictures, I can start a new thread (as Jeff suggested) or just ask me.

Richard
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:03:02 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 08:13:28 PM »
Followup post on findings and markings on my 11/2/1966 built S.J..

Everything I find closely matches the photographs found in this thread. Several subtle differences noticed, but these differences would be consistant with the human factor of the assembly line. Most notable would be a considerably LESS amount of blackout overspray on the underbody. My example more or less, doesn't cover with the black as much of the floorpans...................

Maybe the painter was taller or just bent over less on yours - decreasing the upward angle for coverage on the bottom of the rockers

I'll be taking some more pictures after I get the rest of the floor scrubbed cleaned. I am over 80% done with that, but I am moving very slowly so as to protect any of the undamaged original finishes. The thing I notice the most is that EVERY single scratch or dent, scrape or bend I find is the result of something I did to the car while I was young, evidence that these cars did NOT hold up while attempting the same kind of stunts seen in TV shows like Starsky and Hutch, The Rockford Files, Baretta or Dukes of Hazzard :/ Well, at least I had fun, right? lol  :D

Yes - payback.  Mustangs we're the best all terrain vehicles though some of us tried

Other underbody markings: So far, the only crayon markings found have been the famous "D" on the wheel well side of the front right apron. (what does "D" stand for anyways?)  It was found behind the front splash shield, down low, just above the curve under for the battery.

It can be found on just about every car. Never found a worker that could explain its usage/application.

If anybody wants pictures, I can start a new thread (as Jeff suggested) or just ask me.

Got my vote ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 09:36:08 AM »

Post them, I'd love to see them.
--1965 fastback, 289/4-spd, built Feb. '65 at Dearborn
--1965 convertible, 289/4-spd, built Mar. '65 at Dearborn
--1966 GT fastback, 289/4-spd, built Dec. '65 at Dearborn
--1966 coupe, 200/3-spd, built Dec. '65 at NJ (in the family since 1968)
--1967 coupe, 289/C4, built Dec. '66 at NJ
--2017 GT

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
Post them, I'd love to see them.

OK, that makes 3 interested persons.

When I get images ready, I will post a link here to the other thread.

Richard
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 02:27:11 AM »
OK, that makes 3 interested persons.

Sounds like a landslide to me :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 08:55:02 AM »
...and here is that link to the other thread

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9184.msg53880#msg53880

Richard
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 08:03:39 AM »
Is this example perhaps a GTA Coupe? (Auto transmission) or a GT Coupe? (manual transmission) or a non-GT with the disc brake option and an A-code? Description doesn't  really specify.

I have interest in a few underhood details if it is a GTA mostly, or at very least an auto trans car more than if it's a GT (as it may relate to another thread on Neutral Safety Switch)  I see the power train is removed but perhaps there are more pictures of the parts & pieces?
Beside, the answer may also help knowing the application for the rear leaf spring numbers seen in the one image.

If you know if there were other options the car looks to originally came with, could you list those options as well.  (Tachometer, AC, DSO, interior code, axle code and the likes, the more info the merrier ;) )

Thanks again for these images Jeff ;)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:20:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »
Is this example perhaps a GTA Coupe? (Auto transmission) or a GT Coupe? (manual transmission) or a non-GT with the disc brake option and an A-code? Description doesn't  really specify.............................

Will modify the first post and include some of this for future viewers

Door tag info -  65A   V   2F   15M   71   1  W

Non-GT

Beside, the answer may also help knowing the application for the rear leaf spring numbers seen in the one image.

C7ZA-Y rear springs with no visible paint stripes

If you know if there were other options the car looks to originally came with, could you list those options as well.  (Tachometer, AC, DSO, interior code, axle code and the likes, the more info the merrier ;) )

From what I can see in the additional pictures

PS - AC - Console - Looks like no tach

No engine feed or transmission wiring attached to the firewall plugs :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »
Thanks for the updates ;)
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 05:27:17 PM »
To keep things neat and provide more information to those viewing this thread some additional pictures I uploaded in response to more recent threads and a few more while I am revisiting 200 or so pictures I took of this particular car

Front wheel wells

FWW 1

FWW 2

FWW 3

FWW 4

FWW 5

FWW 6

FWW 7

Rear Wheel Well

RWW 1

RWW 2

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 06:44:43 AM »
Ah, pewp! Another victim!
So sorry Jeff! :(
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 07:24:05 PM »
Ah, pewp! Another victim!
So sorry Jeff! :(

And PhotoBuck is not making it easy to down load files. Had to do it last night one file at a time :(

But you can take this thread off the list ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:34:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle