Author Topic: Boesheild "Rust Free"  (Read 5681 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Boesheild "Rust Free"
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:29:37 AM »
In reading about this companion product to Boesheild would this be the best thing to use on some small areas that are on an assembled car to remove flash rust? followed, of course by Boesheild?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Boesheild "Rust Free"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 09:31:44 AM »
It will help protect bare steel and other natural parts, but surface preparation is important.  Need to try and remove as much moisture as possible from the surface.  This can be done with a heat gun.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:11:34 PM »
Gotcha, Thanks Charles!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:37:35 PM »
Guys, Evedentally the RUST FREE stuff is harder to find than I thought. I found some at Sears locally and by the time I got there someone else bought the last they had.

Is there anything else I can use in its place to remove some flash rust from chassis parts already installed on the car?

I've got plenty of Boesheild itself, trying to get my car ready for a show this weekend.

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »
I haven't tried it myself, but apparently Evapo Rust can be sprayed onto large parts (like the chassis - http://www.evaporust.com/chassis.html) to remove rust, so I assume you could probably do something similar for parts that are still on the car - taking precautions to limit the amount overspray of course...

I can usually find Evapo Rust in stock at the local Harbor Freight store...

Good Luck!
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
According to the label on evaporust containers, you can dip the parts back into the solution after they have been cleaned and it will leave a protective coating.  Unfortunately, evaporust is very sticky when it dries, so I would not recommend doing this as a finish coat.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:56:11 PM »
I haven't tried it myself, but apparently Evapo Rust can be sprayed onto large parts (like the chassis - http://www.evaporust.com/chassis.html) to remove rust, so I assume you could probably do something similar for parts that are still on the car - taking precautions to limit the amount overspray of course...

I can usually find Evapo Rust in stock at the local Harbor Freight store...

Harbor freight is great but (at least in this region) they raised their prices on Evapo Rust by about 30% ($28-29 a gal) from where it was last year. Mought some today from Tractor Supply locally at $21.  Guess I could always order and ship a 5 gal order ;)

As for on the car spots some have found success with wetting a rag with the stuff and draping it over the effected area and let it set. Works fine as long as its not a hot summer day 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:52:33 PM »
The Rust Free product is in the NPD catalog, FYI.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:54 AM »
Thanks Everyone. It has also been suggested to me to use something like PB Blaster/Liquid wrench.....everyone fels that WD-40 is not good for this type of cleaning that I'm trying to do....

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:59:25 PM »
Thanks Everyone. It has also been suggested to me to use something like PB Blaster/Liquid wrench.....everyone fels that WD-40 is not good for this type of cleaning that I'm trying to do....

Depending on what parts have flash-rusted, you can use pb-blaster or something like that with some 0000 steel wool.  If that doesn't work, as Jeff suggested, dip a rag in evaporust, wrap around the parts and then wrap saran wrap around the rag to keep everything wet.  Let it sit for a few hours and check.  Rinse with water, dry and then use a protectant to seal it up.

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »
I used this technique on a NOS exhaust on the curved parts that I couldn't submerge and it worked great.  I had much better results with this method (wrapping) with fresh solution. 
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline FredG

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
Just a quick addition to this thread. I removed surface rust from the axle housing on my 06 Hertz (not removed from car).... Evaporust soaked rags covered by Saran wrap left overnight, then sprayed with Boeshield...worked great. (Thanks Jake Jarell)
Fred 
Fred
6S1826
'13 Boss
MCA 64943

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 01:38:14 PM »
Thanks for the great tip.  (evaporust rags & saran wrap).  Opens up many more options for use.
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
I've even used a small waterfall pump and a tub to flow the stuff over the surface (in this case the inner fender panel and the lapped and spot welded edges) for a continuous flow on the Boss

Problem was the results of a cooked battery from a bad voltage regulator :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 03:45:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »
Now I'm thinking about maybe setting up a seperate  "Evaporust parts cleaner w/pump" (Tractor Supply) & filling it with Evaporust instead of solvent. What doesn't "dunk", will get it by pump. I imagine a person could, using the same tub, (I like this set up because of the lid) set the pump up feeding it through a drain hole instead of the filter inlet that comes on those parts solvent tanks...just an idea. Maybe could get by with only a few gallons instead of 5-10 gallons.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments