Author Topic: '65 Front Valance finish  (Read 4610 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
'65 Front Valance finish
« on: January 31, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »
On my '65 the front valance, I believe was painted off the car along with the rear one, the headlight doors, rear extensions.
The front one is a bit rougher finish and not as glossy as the rest of the car's finish is-my question:Is this considered correct? or should it have been cut and buffed to the same gloss as the rest of the car? (Thanks)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: '65 Front Valance finish
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:30:46 AM »
The front valence was painted off the car.  It would have gone through the same paint process as all the other parts, so don't see why the finish would be any different.

FYI... rear valence was usually attached when the car was painted.  On the '65 GT convertible I restored, all the attaching screws along the top were painted.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 12:52:29 PM »
Thanks Charles!! That is what I was really thinking about the finish on the front valance.
And I've heard lots of descussion about the screws on the rear one being painted as the valance was installed on the card before painting-(I think I'll remove my screws and paint them now) GREAT INFO!!

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »
So the small phillip screws that sit behind the rear bumper should be painted the color of the car?  I thought they weren't painted?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 03:49:17 PM »
My originals on the rear were painted body color on a January '65 Dearborn car.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 04:42:14 PM »
So the small phillip screws that sit behind the rear bumper should be painted the color of the car?  I thought they weren't painted?

Depends on the assembly plant.  Dearborn were typically all painted, but San Jose would usually have 2 screws painted.  I don't recall about Metuchen.

Sorry I have to use words like "usually" and "typically" as it seems like every time you say it "should have", someone always comes forward with an example to contradict!   ;D

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »
Let me phrase it as EVERY original car I've seen during 65-66 (and up for San Jose) have the painted screws as Charles listed ;)

The front one is a bit rougher finish and not as glossy as the rest of the car's finish is-my question:Is this considered correct? or should it have been cut and buffed to the same gloss as the rest of the car? (Thanks)

Ones I've seen normally don't have anywhere near enough paint on the back side to even consider buffing. And if you did the line would not have made the effort IMHO

An example of factory paint - yours could be more or less

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:39:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »
Thanks Charles for the clarification...Mine is from San Jose as well and I stripped the paint from all the screws except the two on both corners since I couldn't remove them with the bumper on.  I guess those will the ones painted on my car...lol
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »
Thanks Charles for the clarification...Mine is from San Jose as well and I stripped the paint from all the screws except the two on both corners since I couldn't remove them with the bumper on.  I guess those will the ones painted on my car...lol

Typically it was the second one in from each end. Sometimes the type of screw is different from the others but not always
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline yelostang

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »
Not being privy to having many original paint cars, the section on each end, where valance fits over 1/4 panel end, the paint was just blown in when painted? Do not ever recall seeing unpainted screws, though.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 02:24:24 PM »
The bottom corner studs wouldn't have been attached, so there would be a decent covering on the edges.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 08:29:03 PM »
Guys, I think there is a misunderstanding about my original question: I was asking about the finish on the front valance itself (the front face side of it) and then Charles mentioned via an FYI that the screws on the rear valance "should be" painted then we started talking about the rear valance as well-I agree that there is most likely not enough paint on the back side of the front valance to try to buff.