Author Topic: Your Favorite Restoration Tool(s)  (Read 5142 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Your Favorite Restoration Tool(s)
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:46:43 PM »
Figured it was a good time to start this thread -

Got a favorite tool or product that makes your job easier, something that you use all the time, Or something your always running out of during a concours restoration. If we get allot of responses the thread might become a sticky

Not to report any are perfect or that there are not easier or better - I'm cheap and form habits quickly - but here are a few of mine just to start the ball rolling ;)

1- The internet and knowledgeable friend. NOTHING replaces these resources especially if you have ever done it the old way where answers to a single question might take 6 months, required allot of phone calls and were often left unanswered - or the "you'll find out when you show the car" :( response

2- Brasso. Polishes all kinds of stuff from plastic, chrome and other products.  Old old standby

3- Evapo-Rust. Though its gotten allot more expensive you've seen the results in many threads here on this site

4- Corrison X or Bo-Shield. Like the Evapo-rust you've hear the experiences before

5- Gun blue repair fluid, Insta-black Black oxide fluid ......Lots of different products . Tone bare metals from new steel to dark heat hardened metal as you've seen in many of my posts

6- Plastic/Synthetic ratchets. A bit more forgiving when you slip and strike those newly finished parts and such. Thought "plastic"? No way are those going to hold up,  when I first saw them but have used these about 90% of the time when I need a ratchet over the last five years

7- Freezer bags - one fo the best, cheap, quick organizers that I don't use often enough. Remember to write on the bags or include a note inside the bag!!

8- Plastic wrap - Again cheap, quick method of keeping parts (especially irregular shaped ones, together for the short (or longer) term. Provides a bit of protection (depending on how much you wrap stuff). Yes I have the strapping wrap used commercially for wrapping parts. Though a superior product I find the cheap stuff easier to work with and did I say cheaper??? ;)

9- Hecht Weatherstrip Adhesive - Dries out quickly once it's opened (turns color often if left in the original container with the metal brush,  it's connected to the lid) still in place so buy smaller units. I've started transferring the liquid out on arrival to glass baby food jars and that has improved the longevity

Hope this helps others - looking forward to seeing your list

Sure I will think of more later
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Your Favorite Restoration Tool(s)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:24:09 AM »
This is a list of sources as well as items.
- Eastwood - as in being selective in what you get but they have a fairly good supply.
- Krud Kutter - available from the paint department at Home Depot. I use it after the big chunks are removed, the "volitile petro-chemicals" have done their thing to get to base metal, as in cast iron. The odor of Simple Green makes me sick.
- Berrymans B12 carb cleaner - I get it in 5 gallon buckets from Oregon. In California it's not sold to the general public.
- My bead blaster from TPTools www.tptools.com in Ohio. I get their ground up windshield (I guess that's a good description) made into sharp corner glass beads, aka Skat Magic. Even paying for the extra shipping charges, it's still cheaper than what is available here. They got more.
- Harbor Freight - It's another big kids Toys-R-Us (arbor press, bench grinder/buffer, engine hoist, el-cheepo breaker bars in each car to get the Style Steel Wheel lug nuts off).
- Goof-Off - but you got to be careful, it will remove the stripes off of wire. Also Home Depot.
- Sears - Craftsman Tools.
- Snap-On trucks - self explanitory.
Jim
PS - I've used Brasso since the mid 50s, former Explorer Scout and Former Navy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:25:45 AM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:25:21 AM »
If we're talking consumable items, here's a few things that I normally have to replenish every so often:

-Black Mamba Nitrile Gloves, these hold up great and make hand cleanup easier
-Mother's Mag/Chrome polish, I use this probably like Jeff uses Brasso
-Cosmoline in spray cans, use this on all sorts of stuff, including spraying on a towel to clean tools before they go back in the big box
-Lacquer thinner in gallon can
-MX-190 parts cleaner (kind of like mineral spirits)
-Manganese Phosphate, not something I use a lot
-I also use gun blue now and then, the permatex brand
-Boeshield in a spray can
-Different grades of steel wool
-2-part epoxy
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:41:44 AM »
Here's a picture of my most common products sitting on top of what I use the most, my blast cabinet with glass beads.
Brasso, Boeshield, perma blue, steel wool, laquer thinner, mineral spirits.
Blue magic plastic polish - I brought quite a few rear lights and backup light lenses back to new.
Plastic dip-Completely repaired my Dearborn firewall pad back to new
Evapo-Rust - the best stuff I've ever used, even soaked my car doors in a homemade pan, looked like new, also the best for finding paint markings.
My trusty scrub brush, have plastic, brass, and stainless attachments
And of course having a nice cold beer and the end of the day makes you appreciate every thing a little more
Dave

65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »
I vote Dave's as the best cabinet top, assuming that's it's only a representation of what he has one hand and there's more Summer Lager on ice.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:04 PM »
Add "Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish" to the list. I don't know where I found the recomendation but this is a chrome wax and polish that has no acids. Available from Restorer Supplies, inc. www.restorersupplies.com
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
Jeff. When you get the Hecht cement break off brush and throw away. Buy acid brushes from local plumbing supply house (box of 100 is like $15) use acid brushes and throw away after each use. They have a lot of other uses as well.
Favorite tools: 1/2" x 9/16" box wrench, 1/4" drive socket set
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »
Not trying to "suck-up," just tellin' the truth! 

THIS FORUM IS MY FAVORITE TOOL
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »
Jeff. When you get the Hecht cement break off brush and throw away.

Yes I do that after the first bottle went bad but even had some after that (with the brush removed) turn so I just move it to the baby food jars - just seems to work better for me

Buy acid brushes from local plumbing supply house (box of 100 is like $15) use acid brushes and throw away after each use. They have a lot of other uses as well.

Yep - use them for paint marks, applying phosphate solution and many other uses
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 12:35:46 PM »
The "tool" used at the end of the day is a moderate amount of some chilled adult beverage.
Jim

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
So what is the favorite, best and easiest to get cleaner or prep for new door weatherstriping.  Thanks,  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 10:41:22 PM »
So what is the favorite, best and easiest to get cleaner or prep for new door weatherstriping.  Thanks,  Brian

Had me till the "easy to get"  part. As with most chemicals what is available to you locally can differ ALLOT from region to region or country to country. I use a quality wax and grease remover the more non-compliant in your area will likely be the better one.

Then follow with a quality adhesive as method prior in the tread

Just me
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 11:08:14 PM »
     OK.  This is what's on the shelf at home, been here a while, and the easiest to get.  Must be good stuff; has warnings and Danger notices.  Special alert not to be taken internally.  Has a 'Good Housekeeping seal' and it's the pro's choice to boot.  Gotta be the right stuff.  Probably a little wipe down with some 409 for good measure.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »
PLASTEX Plastic Repair Kit.

http://www.plastex.net/Home_Page.php

If you have EVER tried plastic repairs (using epoxys or glue) that failed "epically" then you should try this.

SKEPTIC? Watch the 15 minute instructional video (available at Youtube & a link to it at the site above)

Practice make perfect, like many things in this hobby but many repairs I have made have come out completely unoticable,  EVEN ON TEXTURED SURFACES using the "molding" bar provided. You can "cast" your own mold with this stuff!

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments