Author Topic: 65-70 upper control arm restoration  (Read 10702 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65-70 upper control arm restoration
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 11:47:07 PM »
I'm wondering why the price is so high as you can buy NOS stuff cheaper then having A arms redone?

As Bob service replacements mentioned the details are often different (like other parts) than assembly line. Depending on year of the car being built and when the service part was made rivet design and style, jack tabs, boots (as mentioned) paint marks, ball joint design......Always hate seeing an owner spend allot of money purchasing what they think is a great part, placing it on their car then finding out differently at a judged show. Just one of the reason for forums like this one ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »
Agree regarding service replacement suspension parts.  Seen a lot of folks install these and not realize they are incorrect when the fine details are taken into consideration.

For anyone wanting them absolutely correct, I see no choice other than restoring originals.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 01:43:37 AM »
Is page 1 of this topic not working for anyone else?
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 09:41:21 AM »
Is page 1 of this topic not working for anyone else?

Just tried and it works for me.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »
+1
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline lscman

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 02:41:05 PM »
I agree about getting the proper info about A-arms but why is the early cars price of resto so high?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
I agree about getting the proper info about A-arms but why is the early cars price of resto so high?

Believe its the investment in the press needed for the rivets that needs to be paid for through the service. Just my guess Around here that runs $60 per arm so $240 for all four just for the installation of rivets
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 04:11:43 AM »
And to add to that -- where 64-66 are concerned try and find correct C4 boot upper ball joints.  and then non pitted original dated control arms and your starting to get some big expenses towards a restoration costs.  Yes incorrect NOS upper and lower service arms are also bringing big dollars as well. it comes down to the owner and what they are willing to spend, I think most concours inspired people would go with the latter service ones but there are some people like myself who will try and source the correct assembly line parts for there restorations.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline lscman

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »
I guess it's nice if you have deep pockets but most people are average working guys who look for a reasonable method of repairing,rebuilding or replacing parts.I'm not one who wants to pay to build a house because I'm one of the first or second people who wants something done and the guy doing it wants me to pay for the house!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »
I guess it's nice if you have deep pockets but most people are average working guys who look for a reasonable method of repairing,rebuilding or replacing parts.I'm not one who wants to pay to build a house because I'm one of the first or second people who wants something done and the guy doing it wants me to pay for the house!
The written word can be difficult to interpret . I hope I am mis interpreting your post but It reads like sour grapes because the cost is too high. It is about choices. I think a lot of information is given away freely here in a effort to help with reasonable alternatives for repairing, rebuilding or replacing parts.  You can choose to do it the way the majority of people who want the correct look do it .You can choose to figure out a way to do it another way on a budget or choose not do it at all because you think the cost is too much. I hope you find the choice that is best for you.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline lscman

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 07:43:05 PM »
Club type forums are created just for that reason to give someone who needs help knowledge or you could charge for it I guess at which noone would join unless they had deep pockets.No sour grapes but you can surely price yourself out of any work unless you have deep pockets and most people who collect Shelbys don't have that problem!

Offline acman63

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 06:36:39 PM »
Thought Id chime in on this post even though its pretty old.  Even though parts are NOS more than likely they are service parts  for one and two  you cant just bolt on NOS parts that are pushing 50 years old. They still have to be detailed for correct concourse appearance. I just spent 4 hrs redoing a pair of nos 67 lowers and now I still need to rivet on some grease boots as they were cracked and brittle.  Assemblyline parts are most of the time different than NOS service parts. Daves prices are very fair IMHO