Author Topic: Zinc Dichromate (Gold Zinc) to Clear/Silver Zinc  (Read 4904 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Zinc Dichromate (Gold Zinc) to Clear/Silver Zinc
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:10:21 AM »
Situation  - Most platters charge a bulk rate for their zinc and gold zinc plating. Basically all that can fit in the barrel for one base minimum charge  ($75-100 around here)  but will charge an additional minimum charge if you want two different finishes. A few years back Jack Brooks of DeadNutsOn (website) offered a solution to me and its taken this long before I did some more plating to try out his suggestion.

The basis of this idea is that to produce zinc dichromate finish the parts first must be zinc plated (clear, bright or silver - what ever your local term is) before the parts are placed in a dye bath. What was suggested was that you get all your parts zinc dichromated then simply removed the gold dye for those items that you need just zinc.

What you'll need:
Container to hold the liquid for the bath
Vinegar
Tap water
Dichromated parts you want to process

Here is some pictures of the process I used

Step #1 - Plate parts

Prepare the bath - In a container mix a solution of 50% vinegar and 50% water. Enough to cover the parts (individually or as a batch) once they are submerged in the liquid solution

Place the part/parts in the solution.

Soak and Strip - Allow the part to soak for 3-4 minutes. You can always re-dip the item if the removal is incomplete but if left too long the vinegar can strip all plating from the part. I know :(

You can agitate the liquid and parts around during this process. I my efforts didn't seem to change much or speed up the process

Remove - the part and clean/flush with water, in a parts washer or another bucket. Sometime the use of a soft brush will help in the corners and remote nooks of the item.

Dry the part and use or store. Zinc, when exposed to air will oxidize producing a softer less shinny finish unless you oil or wax the part. Same thing goes for the unstripped zinc dichromate parts as the gold finish can diminish over time unless protected. Here is a sort of - before and after picture. Hope this helps others.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline livetoride60

Re: Zinc Dichromate (Gold Zinc) to Clear/Silver Zinc
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »
Great info and pictures Jeff!

Rich
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:33:02 PM »
One word of "warning" if you can call it such- don't want forever to remove the dye. With time its more difficult, more soak time it seems and with that more likelyhood that the vinegar will effect the base zinc plating, and you can end up with a slight goldish tint that I expect will diminish as it does even if you don't remove the dye ;)

Just passing info along
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 08:07:34 AM »
Question:

Would this process work on an item (or maybe better, an assembly) that you may wish two different finishes on?

An example might be something like a door latch or a trunk latch assembly that you may wish to have the latch portion one color and the body of the latch another color.

Has this been tried?

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:53:14 AM »
Question:

Would this process work on an item (or maybe better, an assembly) that you may wish two different finishes on?

An example might be something like a door latch or a trunk latch assembly that you may wish to have the latch portion one color and the body of the latch another color.

Has this been tried?

Richard

I have done this but think it works better the other way around.  Have the part zinc plated, then add the dichromate with the Caswell stuff.  You can use a brush or Q tip to apply some of the dichromate carefully to just the part you want plated this color.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 10:52:50 AM »
I have done this but think it works better the other way around.  Have the part zinc plated, then add the dichromate with the Caswell stuff.  You can use a brush or Q tip to apply some of the dichromate carefully to just the part you want plated this color.
+1 but FYI the Dichromate dye is very carcinogenic . Fumes and product on your hands is not good. Remember Jon from Pony carbs and Mike Ulrey carbs both died of brain cancer and used that product continually . I don't know if it is related but suspiciously looks like maybe. Something to think about.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 11:31:56 AM »
+1 but FYI the Dichromate dye is very carcinogenic . Fumes and product on your hands is not good. Remember Jon from Pony carbs and Mike Ulrey carbs both died of brain cancer and used that product continually . I don't know if it is related but suspiciously looks like maybe. Something to think about.

Yep, I read that...vinegar smells but in small doses... wouldn't likely kill you.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments