Author Topic: Power Steering Hoses  (Read 3138 times)

Offline cool67

Power Steering Hoses
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »
I'm looking for a pair of power steering hoses for a 70 mustang. These are the two that run from the control valve to the ram.The Repro ones that I just purchased from a well known catalog vendor are too long and the bends are off. No way they will work. They are totally different and longer They have the same amount of rubber length, but the steel on each end before the fitting is way longer on both ends than the originals that I need to replace,making them too long overall. Has anyone had sucess with another option? vendor? ideas Please?

Offline Sunlitgold68

Re: Power Steering Hoses
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:52:20 AM »
http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-70-SHORT-POWER-STEERING-HOSES-PAIR-EXACT-STYLE-P10623.aspx

These are suppose to be correct, they just started making them I think, I think NPD also sells them.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline cool67

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:32:49 PM »
The ones I have that are too long with the wrong bends were recently purchased from NPD

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:20:21 PM »
This is like a broken record hearing the nighmare stories of reproduction junk that's made in TIAWAN. I recently ordered a strut rod bushing kit from NPD for around $21.00 (too cheap) and this kit was not even close to the original, the washers are a third as thick as the originals, the insulators are not the same shape as the originals and the original parts have 2 bushings per side  and the repops have one. I then called a local parts store (O'REILY) and asked what they had, the guy said he would have to order them and I had my choice of a off brand set for $13.98 or a MOOG set for $48.00. I ordered the MOOG set and He said he could have the set the next day. I arrived at the store an the guy brought out the box and I immediately noted the weight of the box was twice as heavy as the one from NPD, then I saw the part was made in the U.S.A (another good sign), I opened the box and the washers are the same size and thickness as the originals, the bushings are correct and the only difference I could see from the originals are the plating of the washers and the bushings are made into the insulators vs. separate parts and this may be better than the original. MOOG is or was a common OE supplier to many domestic cars. I installed the parts and they fit and look great. I am going to start searching old parts houses who may have some of the QUALITY aftermarket parts left from the days when the parts were made in the U.S.A. As for as the hoses, I would check with a auto parts store and see what they can order in and maybe you will get lucky and find a OE equivalent part. Good luck and I feel your pain.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline cool67

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:55:59 AM »
My same old question is :Why when the cost of tooling is so high do they not have several sets of originals in front of them, when they spend the same amount of money to make something that they can see doesn't fit, than what would fit. I spent $13.95 x2 for something that just isn't for what they says fits. I am not knocking NPD I actually love there fast service and the fact that, about everything I ever order and have and will continue to do ,has been in stock. But just upset that a company will take your money for something that won't in any way fit....Now the good part.I did take the above reply(Thanks you very much) & talked to the folks at Virginia Mustang and they swear that the EXACT fit ones, they have, DO FIT. We will see. Thanks to all that replied.....Bob

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 02:24:53 PM »
My same old question is :Why when the cost of tooling is so high do they not have several sets of originals in front of them, when they spend the same amount of money to make something that they can see doesn't fit, than what would fit. .........................

A couple of possibilities based on what we have seen in the past.

1- They do use NOS samples (very common practice in the past - rather than using originals) and the NOS ones are off

2- Close enough or good enough is the production standard  and since off by a little means everything in this case they fail we get what is out there

Allot of us have been waiting for over a year for some new concours correct ones that were promised. Don't know if they will ever be available. But we continue to wait
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 10:16:25 AM »
Looks like the PS hoses are finally here, has anyone tried these yet?

http://www.bluedotspecialties.com/
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:36:47 PM »
Already bought 3 sets. Pretty nice
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America