Author Topic: Hood Adhesive  (Read 1963 times)

Offline koski19

Hood Adhesive
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
On the 66 double panel hood, the bottom panel is loose in several areas. What adhesive is used to secure the top and bottom pieces?

Jeff

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hood Adhesive
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:17:23 PM »
I've never seen the supplier or specific type listed in any document so far but appears to be the same or similar products used through the classic years to bond/insulate the inner and outer liners of the hood and trunk lids

Not sure exactly but could be ESB-M2053-B  a  heavy paintable mastic that was heat cured or possibly ESB-M4023-A  a synthetic resin plastic sealer

Today you might consider using on of the current body epoxies but play/test it before hand to see if you can get the ribbon look like the original and not a smooth puddling finished product. Not sure if they make one that remains slightly plyable like the original stuff which though pretty solid when cured/dried still had a little (very little) flex it seams IMHO
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:20:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline koski19

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »
Thanks for the info Jeff.......

Jeff

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 12:33:01 PM »
Currently you have a potential noise and maybe a safety problem. Use an body shop type epoxy and get it fixed, then worry about what it looks like.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:29:16 PM »
Currently you have a potential noise and maybe a safety problem.............

Jim what possibly could be a safety issue?  Got to ask ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:45:32 AM »
We don't where the hood and frame came loose, it could be bent to the point of being damaged and coming apart. The stickum is there for noise reduction and additional structural integrity. I know it's not a bow-tie brand, but a neighbor's pickup had a "foldable" hood. It happens.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline koski19

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. It has dropped to zero and even minus degrees here in Northern Nevada over the past few days and I've stopped working on the hood. The propane heater can't keep the shop warm enough. When it warms up I'll be back at it.

Jeff