Author Topic: Citristrip for paint removal  (Read 895 times)

Offline ExportMach

Citristrip for paint removal
« on: August 02, 2020, 10:13:46 AM »
I searched this site and found only one passing mention of this product. My mechanic Mustang buddy recently suggested I try this stripper instead of hours using the media cabinet. I have to say the results are spectacular !! I found it at ACE hardware for $10/can and its as easy as spray, wait a couple of hours and wipe. It also comes as a liquid in a half gallon jug.  It seems that original paint that has been in place for decades simply lifts off and spray paint applied more recently just turns to slime that can be rinsed off and finished with and old, soft toothbrush. The product is non-toxic and does not damage the item youre cleaning at all. As mentioned on the other post the item should be rinsed with water to complete the cleaning.

As a sidebar: Ive also become a true believer in using Evaporust and white vinegar to remove rust and corrosion. I use them separately depending on the item and amount of corrosion. Both work incredible well and leave a clean surface. Sometimes there is a little blackening on the surface but that comes off with a gentle wire brush.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:49:28 AM by ExportMach »
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline OldGuy

Re: Citristrip for paint removal
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 03:13:01 PM »
You're results with Citristrip are just the opposite of what I encountered with this product. I saw a writeup in a Hemmings publication touting the merits of Citristrip-everything from favorable environmental concerns to ease of use and easily obtainable. All of that is probably true. I found it to be to ineffective however on how it stripped automotive paint from a surface. My test case was a painted (or what was left of the paint that the "DOT 3 paint remover" did not remove) master cylinder that I did not want to bead blast. The results were that it did hardly ANY paint removal even after applying it very heavily to the surface and waiting forever (yes I've learned how to use paint remover). A second similar application/waiting period yielded results that were no better.

I guess that, based on my experience, I would have to give it an "F" for automotive paint. It might work ok on wood with paint/varnish.

Who else has had any experience (good or bad) with this product?

Frank

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 03:57:25 PM »
I made a quick scan at their website and LEFT.
My questions to you are:
- Is the surface finish (aka - paint) possibly powdercoated?
- Is the surface finish (aka - paint) possibly done with an epoxy paint?
Both of those "finishes" are difficult to remove.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 04:04:20 PM »
Citristrip works great on some 1K paints, but not well on Ford Acrylic Enamel. It sort of works on the Ford paint if you really slather it on and cover it with plastic.
Citristrip doesn't work at all on 2k paints.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »
I made a quick scan at their website and LEFT.
My questions to you are:
- Is the surface finish (aka - paint) possibly powdercoated?
- Is the surface finish (aka - paint) possibly done with an epoxy paint?
Both of those "finishes" are difficult to remove.
Jim

I'm not sure what type of paint that I was trying to remove. The paint was whatever was used on MICO master cylinders back in 1966. I doubt that it was anything "special". Certainly DOT 3 took care of it.

Frank