Author Topic: Aircraft Stripper on Stainless Moldings?  (Read 5440 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Aircraft Stripper on Stainless Moldings?
« on: February 06, 2014, 10:56:26 PM »
Hi guys, I currently have the front windshield and rear glass out of my '67 coupe in order to do a headliner replacement.  The car has been fairly poorly repainted at one point its past, and there's body color (green) overspray on most of the windshield and rear window stainless.  I've successfully polished and repaired stainless in the past, but I've never really encountered enough overspray to need to address this.  Is it ok to use aircraft stripper on these moldings?  Will it damage them in any way?  Or is there a better way?

I've used soap/scuff pads in the past, but they take forever on thick overspray (and this is thicker than I've ever encountered).  I've used a one-sided razor blade in the past, but you run the risk of gouging or scratching the stainless.  I thought maybe the aircraft stripper would be the easiest method in this case.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Aircraft Stripper on Stainless Moldings?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 12:52:26 AM »
Hi guys, I currently have the front windshield and rear glass out of my '67 coupe in order to do a headliner replacement.  The car has been fairly poorly repainted at one point its past, and there's body color (green) overspray on most of the windshield and rear window stainless.  I've successfully polished and repaired stainless in the past, but I've never really encountered enough overspray to need to address this.  Is it ok to use aircraft stripper on these moldings?  Will it damage them in any way?  Or is there a better way?

I've used soap/scuff pads in the past, but they take forever on thick overspray (and this is thicker than I've ever encountered).  I've used a one-sided razor blade in the past, but you run the risk of gouging or scratching the stainless.  I thought maybe the aircraft stripper would be the easiest method in this case.
You should be fine with the stripper on stainless. It should not have any effect but you may notice the finish may be slightly different under the paint protected portion compared to the finish of a portion exposed to the elements. Polishing should even things out in that case.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:23:24 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  Just what I was hoping to hear.  :)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »
     I have used steel wool #0 down to #0000 without harming the stainless steel finish.  Removes the paint or tarnish and even polishes the metal at the same time.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline mjgraniero

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 10:31:13 PM »
Have you tried using clay bar and lubricant?  Auto detailers use it to remove overspray from painted surfaces and may work just as well on stainless. Never used it on anything but a painted surface so I can't say if there will be any negative effects. If it's safe for painted surfaces, it should be ok for stainless.
1969 Mustang Fastback (in restoration)
428CJ, Ram Air
C-6
9F02R

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:44:17 AM »
All good techniques.  I used a penny (zinc alloy) edge to scrape the paint off.  The metal alloy is softer than the stainless trim, so the trim doesn't get scratched.  Kind of tedious, but well worth the effort.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
Have you tried using clay bar and lubricant?  Auto detailers use it to remove overspray from painted surfaces and may work just as well on stainless. Never used it on anything but a painted surface so I can't say if there will be any negative effects. If it's safe for painted surfaces, it should be ok for stainless.

No, I haven't tried that.  I bet it would work pretty well on single-stage paint, but I'm not sure it would do well with basecoat/clearcoat.  I'm pretty sure bc/cc is what's on this '67 I'm currently working on.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
No, I haven't tried that.  I bet it would work pretty well on single-stage paint, but I'm not sure it would do well with basecoat/clearcoat.  I'm pretty sure bc/cc is what's on this '67 I'm currently working on.
The clay bar is not that aggressive other then a dusting on a piece of trim. It would take forever if it is thick. If the paint is thick enough to be a solid color on the trim you will have a very tough time with the clay bar. Excellent for other things but not for when it is thick IMO. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
The clay bar is not that aggressive other then a dusting on a piece of trim. It would take forever if it is thick. If the paint is thick enough to be a solid color on the trim you will have a very tough time with the clay bar. Excellent for other things but not for when it is thick IMO.

That's a really good way of putting it.   :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 07:19:10 PM »
........ If the paint is thick enough to be a solid color on the trim you will have a very tough time with the clay bar.

That's when you can start clipping the paint off the trim since its often not prepped (sanded) but just laying on the surface

This can produce some light scratches but your going to sand and buff anyway :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 10:15:08 PM »
This can produce some light scratches but your going to sand and buff anyway :(

Speaking of sanding and buffing stainless, what is the finest grit you use when you polish?  I went up to 1200 once, but still had some micro scratches that showed through after I polished it.  Maybe wet sand it one last time with 1500, 2000, or ultra-fine?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 09:20:28 PM »
Speaking of sanding and buffing stainless, what is the finest grit you use when you polish?  I went up to 1200 once, but still had some micro scratches that showed through after I polished it.  Maybe wet sand it one last time with 1500, 2000, or ultra-fine?

Believe the last set I did (for the Cougar project) I went to 2000 wet
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 07:24:53 AM »
Did you polish with a wheel after Jeff?
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 04:37:09 PM »
Did you polish with a wheel after Jeff?

Since I had gone that far as far as grit I finished by hand, Don't have as much experience with a wheel, have a heavy hand and there was only about 6 foot in total length
Jeff Speegle

Offline tobkob

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 10:00:12 PM »
If you use a wheel be very careful...one slip and you've had a bad day... :'(

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.