Author Topic: Body Dolly / Engine Cradle  (Read 3709 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Body Dolly / Engine Cradle
« on: February 18, 2014, 04:31:33 AM »
I wanted to try something that I haven't seen done before and it's working well. With the exception of some 2" Square Tube and Plate Steel up front, the entire Dolly is constructed from Pine 2x4's and 2x6's and held together almost entirely with 3" Deck Screws.

The Tube Steel in front was necessary for two reasons: wood would not be strong enough and the Dolly will later be used to Cradle the Engine and Transmission for testing prior to installing it into the Engine Bay. The Engine Brackets will bolt nicely to the Tube Steel and the back of the Dolly will be brought forward and some additional structure added to hold the Transmission Tail Housing. Then when I'm done, I can disassemble the whole thing.

Two other advantages I quickly discovered were that, wood is easier to cut and fix if you're off a bit and it's a whole lot cheaper. The total bill for all the materials, Steel and Wheels included, came to just $137.00. The only change I plan to make is the Rear Wheels. Straight Wheels are easier to control but far more difficult to maneuver than he Swivel's.

By-the-way, I'll assume that y'all will have a good laugh and think I'm nuts, but just in case, please do not copy what I built unless you're extremely comfortable working with wood and understand all the engineering.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline Rsanter

Re: Body Dolly / Engine Cradle
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »
Wood is a remarkably strong and versatile material.
You did a nice job there.
I think one good thing you did was to put good casters on it. Other ones I have seen made of wood they put crappy casters on just being cheap

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »
Thanks for the compliment. I probably spent more time thinking about the casters than anything else; each is rated 600 pounds.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
Est. Build 23A

Offline nham3407

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:00:01 AM »
Very nice.  I had thought about doing the same for mine a couple of years back.  Ended up welding up a dolly set that bolts to the front bumper mounts and is adjustable for different years and installed a roller rear axle with the springs top mounted to give me extra height.  If you can post up some measurements and a material list for others to follow your path that would be nice.  Definitly an economical approach that appeals to me.  Good work.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »
Thanks, I'll put together drawings, parts, part numbers and sources.

I thought about going the all welded steel route but required too much precision and square cuts to get it right. I have the welder and skills but not the equipment to cut the steel; locally available but added more cost. I opted for an inexpensive way that is still strong enough and a little more forgiving if a cut wasn't quite right...and wouldn't burn me if the sun hit the metal in just he right way.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
Est. Build 23A

Online midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:04:34 PM »
Understood...just watch out for splinters! ;D
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 06:45:46 PM »
Just FYI, complete metal ones with wheels can be bought for $300
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 10:36:23 PM »
I considered prebuilt but saved a Bundle my way and can be disassembled for easier storage.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
Est. Build 23A

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:28:50 AM »
I'm not knocking what you did, it certainly looks great and as a carpenter by trade I can appreciate all the hard work and skill. I am just offering an altenative to others that may be less skilled or dont have the extra time to build on. The steel ones are about $160 more than the one you built which translates to 3-5 professional work hours depending on your region. I have 2 and as far as storage, 2 bolts and they stack against a wall and consume 3" of space

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 01:03:20 AM »
Tim,

I appreciate your comments and did not take anything you said as knocking what I built. I built this for a variety of reasons; primarily, just to see if it could be done and because I miss working with wood; did custom cabinetry and furniture in my younger days. It's crude but had fun putting it together. I do plan to change the fixed back wheels to swivel though...much easier to maneuver in the limited space I have.

Another factor is Texas weather. It gets so blasted hot here sometimes that, though the dolly is under the car, anything metal would become unbearably hot, even if shaded. It'll also do double duty as I designed it to become an Engine and Transmission Stand after the car is back on its own shoes. All I have to do is move the front and rear supports closer and attach the Transmission Adaptor to the Rear Support. I can then start up the whole assembly before dropping it in the car and correct anything while access is easier.

Take care!

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
Est. Build 23A

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 08:48:11 AM »
Same thing happens in the cold. Anything metal just radiates it. Wood is friendlier  ;)