Author Topic: Unrestored 67 San Jose Convertible C Code Thermactor w/AC-Picture Thread  (Read 5491 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Disclaimer: :) As always we need to warn that unrestored does not always mean unaltered by previous owners. Just because this car has/had a specific detail does not mean your car was built just the same. Always do your research, document your findings and make the best choice for you and your expectations.

Cars' VIN is -  7R03C1883xx (projected build date of about March 2nd). A nice example of the period and plant. Not perfect in every way but choke full of original details IMHO. As always every car has something to share with us, we just have to be smart enough to recognize and find it ;)

Have used pictures of this car in other threads to illustrate details - looks like 29 pictures in total will be uploaded to this thread.

Enjoy - Starting with the engine compartment

E1- Master Cylinder Area booster, check valve and master cylinder painted as a unit as was done typically

Wider shot

E2- PVS (Ported Vacuum Switch)   - not an easy to find part if you need one

E3- Shot from above of the forward thermactor pieces

Smog filter has been cleaned & repainted - Wingnut is not painted in the picture as it would be originally ;)

E4- Shot from above of the forward thermactor pieces. Again rattle can touch up

E5- Front intake area. Some signs of engine paint touch up

E6- Passenger side fender lip by battery shows this car had the additional bracket

E7- Rear thermactor parts. Someones been touching up some spots with a rattle can

E8- Air cleaner rear nipple - where a "C" shaped hose to the thermactor valve attaches

E9- Passenger side firewall - AC car Someone has replaced the factory formed hoses

E10- General overall shot of the passenger side

E11- Radiator top tank markings with date. Hoses and clamps are reproductions

E12- Though covered with decades of grime the engine plate shows the original blue paint on the main area. As a result of being attached to the engine when it was painted. While over around the starter attachment area the paint faded to light over spray into no paint (there were variables related to amounts of ovespray). I likely wipped away any light overspray when I wiped away the grease for the picture. Note the inspection cover is semi-gloss black. Yes starter has been replaced and is not finished as an original would be

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:28:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Unrestored March 67 San Jose Convertible Pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 09:39:54 AM »
Awesome! Brings back memories of the way it was! I have deviated only slightly from this, assembling from memory alone (began first work on the car in 1978, no photos were taken in the day) My memory only moved things slightly from as these pictures show.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:52:59 AM by 67gtaclone »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »
3 questions.
1.) Marti Autoworks is selling for the 67 San Jose built Radiator hoses with the stapled wire clamps.
This shows the tower clamps, was there early or late or a cut-off date?
2.) Bolted to the top of the AC compressor, the Thermactor hose (going towards the drivers side head) at the back side of the compressor is held with a support bracket & clamp (plastic?). Did all 67's come with this? (mine doesn't have it)
3.) At Drivers side shock tower brace, is there supposed to be an Air Conditioner Hose Support Strap, keeping the return AC hose off of the throttle linkage.

That's all I have for now, maybe more later.

I kinda wish the details of the heater hoses were clearer as to where and how they are routed, though these do help a whole lot. 8)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:32:12 AM »
I was wondering about the C8AE casting number on the intake manifold too. Is this like some of the 302 blocks being used on some of the late Cleveland built 289's? I just learned about THAT last night, that is some of the Cleveland built 67 289's were assembled with a 302, C8AE cast block. (maybe this might explain my 67 Cougar 4V TE engine having a 302 block when I rebuilt it in 1997, since that bothered me quite a bit...I may have to go searching for numbers on it again)
I'll always have some of the weirdest questions...a stickler I am for details.
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »
3 questions.
1.) Marti Autoworks is selling for the 67 San Jose built Radiator hoses with the stapled wire clamps.
This shows the tower clamps, was there early or late or a cut-off date?

San Jose started the staples during 66 production and in general judges will be looking for stapled wire clamps by 67. Looking at these at least the hoses have been replaced by reproductions would guess they bought clamps also not knowing the difference.

Somewhat related - we do know that 68 San Jose small blocks did use band clamps for a while though don't know why or exactly when (assembly line pictures showed us this)  but would stick with the wire clamps for those so unless someone has some realy good reason not too

2.) Bolted to the top of the AC compressor, the Thermactor hose (going towards the drivers side head) at the back side of the compressor is held with a support bracket & clamp (plastic?). Did all 67's come with this? (mine doesn't have it)

Oh that is a rubber (shinny and smooth type) coated metal band clamp holding that to the compressor. Looking at other pictures of 67 SJ AC Thermactor cars at least four other examples used the same clamp attached to the top of the AC compressor. Some used the other holes though they each could have been moved - think the one in the picture above is the best choice at this point

3.) At Drivers side shock tower brace, is there supposed to be an Air Conditioner Hose Support Strap, keeping the return AC hose off of the throttle linkage.

I've never seen or found one of the rubber support straps on a 67 San Jose car

I kinda wish the details of the heater hoses were clearer as to where and how they are routed, though these do help a whole lot. 8)

That's 4 questions ;)

Will look at some other examples - other cars to see what I can offer. Just nothing from this example

Jeff Speegle

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »
Jeff,

Is it your flash or did someone attempt to spray bomb the valve covers and intake with Ford corporate blue?

I bought an NOS ported vacuum switch at Carlisle many years ago for a NC friend that needed one. Think the vendor wanted $25 for it and i couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough! The NOS was exact to my original one down to the Ford oval stamped into the side. I found a couple of them on parts motors out in Phoenix, AZ. One of those one-year wonder parts by Ford.

Hard to tell if the back of the thermactor pump is black or cast steel on this one. What about the pump mounting bracket: cast steel or painted black?

This convertible (with exterior decor option) appears to be a first half production run car based on the hood turn signal wiring harness. Also, it must be a manual top car as I do not see an trace of the power top junction block next to the starter solenoid.

Pictures sure bring back memories of my san jose convertible...

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 10:50:52 PM »
Is it your flash or did someone attempt to spray bomb the valve covers and intake with Ford corporate blue?

Yep in a couple of places you can see signs of a happy rattle can user - mentioned in the caption of picture #8

Covered the engine tag attachment bolt also :(

Hard to tell if the back of the thermactor pump is black or cast steel on this one. What about the pump mounting bracket: cast steel or painted black?

Neither painted on engine with everything else corporate blue. Consistent will just about every one I've ever seen (the cast bracket for the alternator and smog pump)  except for the service replacement ones

This convertible (with exterior decor option) appears to be a first half production run car based on the hood turn signal wiring harness. Also, it must be a manual top car as I do not see an trace of the power top junction block next to the starter solenoid.

March 2 projected build date

Power top ???  Looks like t has a switch

Starter relay area -   Black paint is in really poor condition in this area and it shows that the exterior paint painter got a little carried away on this car and painted allot more than needed or normal since all of this got covered in black 

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 05:12:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:07:27 PM »
OK - Next area. Since Pete got us started on the interior lets post some pictures from that area

Under dash

Pedal area - carpet has been replaced as you can see. Also nice pretty San Jose style firewall pad

Paint pattern on the bottom of door as we've discussed here int he forum before. As mentioned interior color applied before the exterior paint

Seat belt label

Door jamb- edge - early style door gasket with the square style large window end

And the front edge of the "gasket"

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:06:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 11:42:49 PM »
Undercarriage pictures - Enjoy

Under the front end. Nice PS retainer strap. Not very clean but with a little elbow grease sure it would look very nice

Driveline yoke and automatic transmission
with dust boot

Jan 67 dated resonator

Early style fuel line routing and the clip
we were discussing in another thread

Feb 67 Muffler

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:15:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:51:15 PM »
And lastly some shots of the trunk

Close up of the original jack decal

Guy installing the weatherstrip got a little off track with the adhesive

Drivers side wheelwell details

Driver side trunk floor - shows a really nice dolly mark. Does have a little bit of surface rust. Got to love those California cars ;) Bare metal from 50 years ago is still bare metal

Trunk floor to taillight panel. Shows examples of how they were applying the seam sealer during this time period.  Trunk drop filler and gas tank underlayment also in the picture

Jack and wrench

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:13:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »
My resonators have long ago been removed. Are earlier ones similar/same with different dates? Aftermarkets have been showing tubular ones. Are (somewhat) correct ones available?
Richard Urch

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 10:01:47 AM »
I am surprised to see so many early items on a March 67 car, square door seals, early jacking instructions, early lug wrench, early gas line, early fresh air vent cable assembly early hood wiring covering, early AC vacuum can. Did it have the bladder washer reservoir or the hard tank, Short hood latch pins or long? Did it have the hard board under the jack? Other item of interest are trunk protector is really high, no decal on master cylinder cap.
Marty   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 07:45:49 PM »
My resonators have long ago been removed. Are earlier ones similar/same with different dates? Aftermarkets have been showing tubular ones. Are (somewhat) correct ones available?

Don't believe so - don't think Scott Fuller is making these as of yet

I am surprised to see so many early items on a March 67 car, square door seals, early jacking instructions, early lug wrench, early gas line, early fresh air vent cable assembly early hood wiring covering, early AC vacuum can.

One of the challenges when we use the term "early" and "late" to describe running changes. Guess earlier and later are better but still lack some since earlier might cover every thing up to May in an example or two and Later might be everything after October in a different example

Did it have the bladder washer reservoir or the hard tank, Short hood latch pins or long?

Washer bag

Hood Latch

Did it have the hard board under the jack?

Believe so

Other item of interest are trunk protector is really high, no decal on master cylinder cap.

The protector could have broken  loose from the glue (see that all the time) , fell or knocked off and simply just put up in place by a past owner

Decal on master cylinder??  Looks like the master cylinder or at least the cap have been replaced over the years

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 05:13:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 07:30:55 AM »
i have been going back over unrestored photos for 67's this morning, paying more attention towards S.J. builds, early and it has been a good refresher course. Something in this series of photos caught mey eye that I missed before. The trunk drop off filler. Mine is screwed down and was wondering if that is another ealy/late thing. If so, any idea when that changeover occured?
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

Re: Unrestored 67 San Jose Convertible C Code Thermactor w/AC-Picture Thread
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »
Richard, I believe it is an early late thing.  My Dec 66 SJ has in comparison to the picture in this thread a filler panel that is much thicker, and is screwed down.   Perhaps not the most technically correct description, but I would say that the early one is more like an engineered wood product (masonite-like) while the later one is more like cardboard (complete with cut folded flaps to keep it in place). 

I think that the early type started out thicker in comparison, but with exposure to water would "bloat" making the difference exaggerated.

Don't have any pictures at the moment, can't do so until I return from some travels.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:28:35 PM by J_Speegle »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
MCA 74660