Author Topic: Unrestored March 67 San Jose Convertible Pictures  (Read 4899 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Unrestored March 67 San Jose Convertible Pictures
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 02:56:19 PM »
i have been going back over unrestored photos for 67's this morning, paying more attention towards S.J. builds, early and it has been a good refresher course. Something in this series of photos caught mey eye that I missed before. The trunk drop off filler. Mine is screwed down and was wondering if that is another ealy/late thing. If so, any idea when that changeover occured?

Yes the "earlier" version is the masonite board like the 65-66's which was changed over to the treated cardboard material.  First version is retained to the car with two fairly large screws and washers while the later version has two "wings" that are designed/cutout in the material that sort of hold it in place.

Think there is a thread that mentions at least the rough change over point between the two. If not I can look that up again

Just one of the hundreds of running changes in 67 and what maked them so much fun ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 01:23:47 PM »
Jeff, what caused the runs on the driver's side outer wheel well?  Thanks, Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
Jeff, what caused the runs on the driver's side outer wheel well?  Thanks, Mark

Guess your referring to the one in the trunk on the outer wheel well housings

Likely due to a leading of the unibody after paint or primer application - before it was baked or set.

Can't recall if I've ever cut through those particular runs to see if they are primer or paint
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 08:53:41 AM »
Digging up "bones" out of this old thread...

I see an Aluminum AC compressor on theis unrestored San Jose example.

Would AC compressors on small block 67's for Select-Aire cars be "as pictured" from within this thread? A recent thread on S-codes for 67's got me wondering what cars got the aluminum (York style) compressors and which got the Techumseh (cast iron) compressors. This is one item I wouldn't otherwise be able to identify simply by date code alone for lack of complete car repair history.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:56:24 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 07:01:53 PM »
Would AC compressors on small block 67's for Select-Aire cars be "as pictured" from within this thread? A recent thread on S-codes for 67's got me wondering what cars got the aluminum (York style) compressors and which got the Techumseh (cast iron) compressors. This is one item I wouldn't otherwise be able to identify simply by date code alone for lack of complete car repair history.

Believe the recent S code question was Dearborn S code related

May be another one of those different supplier for different plant sort of thing. Would need to know allot more than we do though with the examples we currently have - mostly info from the AC pump tag that we don't have pictures from.  Have allot of pictures of small block with aluminum pumps from all three plants but little if any detailed info to go with the pictures that might help determine if they were replacements or originals
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 06:41:31 AM »
Not that you are looking for "more threads to restore images" in Jeff...but I am searching older posts for images of unrestored AC compressors and found your images fell victim to the recent photobucket catastrophe. ::)
 Thank you in advance :/  ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 03:38:10 PM »
Not that you are looking for "more threads to restore images" in Jeff...but I am searching older posts for images of unrestored AC compressors and found your images fell victim to the recent photobucket catastrophe. ::)
 Thank you in advance :/  ;)

Working through the pile as I get to it. May expand some of these unrestored threads with more pictures. Right now Photobucket is making it difficult to even log on so I may have to regenerate all the pictures (crop, resize, label and all those steps) or at least a fair number again  >:(  But realize how much these threads help and are important to many out there for study, comparison and discussion
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 06:26:27 PM »
Believe the recent S code question was Dearborn S code related

May be another one of those different supplier for different plant sort of thing. Would need to know allot more than we do though with the examples we currently have - mostly info from the AC pump tag that we don't have pictures from.  Have allot of pictures of small block with aluminum pumps from all three plants but little if any detailed info to go with the pictures that might help determine if they were replacements or originals
+1. There are many examples of the York pumps being predominate at a certain plant during a certain time period. The same goes for the cast iron Tecumseh. My main study are the cars from the plants that produced the cars converted to Shelby's and in that context I have seen a distinct pattern.  Example, 69 Dearborn cars typically used the iron Tecumseh compressor regardless of engine size. 67 SJ Mustangs typically had the aluminum York regardless of engine size. 68 Metuchen Mustangs typically used the York regardless of engine size. Ether pump will work just one more predominate then the other given a particular plant at a particular time. One was just more typical then the other on  the examples given.  The evidence does not support a difference because of engine size on e the assemblyline IMO. Service replacements and aftermarket use the same compressor regardless of engine size for the years in discussion.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby